All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:14 am 

Hi all.

Running a small online radio as like a hobby project.

all in the cloud.

I am running Radioboss as my main playout software. The audio is then sent to Stereo tool, from there and then out to my encoders.

However running Stereo tool on the same machine as the playout machine causes severe lagging/buffering issues at time. Suspect it is due to the CPU being inadequate.

an idea I had would be to do the Stereo tool processing on a separate machine all together. Then either feed it back to the broadcast machine once it's been processed, then out to the listener, or set up a relay of some kind (I'd probably have to set up yet another encoder) to stream the raw audio from the playout machine to Stereo tool, then from there out to the encoder that was used on the broadcasting machine.

If anyone has any idea how to achieve this I would love to hear.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:35 pm 

Maybe not the answer you are looking for but as this runs in the cloud, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just upgrade the CPU? Then on the second PC scenario, what type of OS will the system be running?

For Linux you can try to use Liquidsoap to get the source stream and run StereoTool as a plugin and then output it to the stream server(but how to handle spikes etc, which will based on the streaming format used causing clipping etc.)

On Windows you can use some type of playout to get the stream from the source and then process it and send it out again...

BUT, I don't think it is going to help you as you will probably run into a CPU problem on the second server as I do not expect RadioBoss to take up a lot of CPU right now.