All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Dante
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:28 pm 

I wonder will this work over network with ST

https://www.esi-audio.com/products/planet22x/

Post subject: Re: Dante
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:38 pm 

Yes it does.

Didn't try it with this device in particular, but ST plays nicely with the Dante VS driver under windows. So whatever other Dante device you plug into your network will act as an input or output and can easily be routed using the Dante Controller

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:57 pm 

oK..
For now i am testing that DANTE Virtual Soundcard, but for some reason i can't make it to work. What i am missing?
I check all FAQ on site.. but i cant make it to work at all.
All i want, is to set it as soundcard in playout or make it to use input from soundcard and send that to ST via network.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:56 am 

Bojcha,

Dante VSC didn't work for me as I was trying to use the VSC to send from one PC to another and Dante Support eventually told me you need to have another hardware Dante device on the network which is the Clock Master. They told me to buy Dante Via software as it will be the Clock Master. I bought it and because I use Dell machines it would crash the Windows 10 OS and I would have to restore to get the machine back. They told me "this is a known problem" with Dell machines. Great!

Eventually they sent me the new Via that works with Dell machines and I never got Dante to work, so I gave it up.

C.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:05 am 

Thank You. Good to know that im now entirely crazy.
I also saw they have Dante Controler for windows wich should be, among others, clock master as how i understand it. Still, cant make it to work even with that.

I really need something to work properly over network. I tried Axia, but it pulls too much bandwidth. Leif's solution too much delay... etc. Every other solution has some bad side.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:51 pm 

Quote:
I wonder will this work over network with ST

https://www.esi-audio.com/products/planet22x/

Dante to analog direction works fine. From analog to Dante not so well, while for some reason the device introduces more (white like noise) as expected. Two Avio devices (one in / one out) might be somewhat better solution, while it cost about the same. Planet22x or Avio, both work as a clock source to be used by Dante virtual soundcart, in case there is no grand-master-clock from digital console, etc. Dante Via will not do, there is a 48K limitation, also not that many channels.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:03 pm 

Quote:
I also saw they have Dante Controler for windows wich should be, among others, clock master as how i understand it. Still, cant make it to work even with that.

I really need something to work properly over network. I tried Axia, but it pulls too much bandwidth. Leif's solution too much delay... etc. Every other solution has some bad side.
Dante Controller does not work as a clock source. Although, a Dante network can't be used without that. That is where you do all the routing/patching, etc. Stereo Tools works rock-solid with Dante virtual sound card though. It is used for broadcasting like 2-3 years now. You can patch two audio sources to each instance of ST. If you need to MIX between the sources (to work two faders on the mixer) just use two independent ST installations.

Asio >>> Dante virtual sound card combination. In my opinion, the most reliable solution to date.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:26 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Dante Controller does not work as a clock source. Although, a Dante network can't be used without that. That is where you do all the routing/patching, etc. Stereo Tools works rock-solid with Dante virtual sound card though. It is used for broadcasting like 2-3 years now. You can patch two audio sources to each instance of ST. If you need to MIX between the sources (to work two faders on the mixer) just use two independent ST installations.

Asio >>> Dante virtual sound card combination. In my opinion, the most reliable solution to date.
Ok.. but i just cant make it to work, probably i am missing something. For me it does not work at all.

Here what i want. 2 PCs in network, 1st with soundcard with analog input (audio source) 2nd PC with StereoTool in FM. So how to set it to send analog audio from PC1 to PC2?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:31 pm 

[/quote]

[/quote]
Ok.. but i just cant make it to work, probably i am missing something. For me it does not work at all.

Here what i want. 2 PCs in network, 1st with soundcard with analog input (audio source) 2nd PC with StereoTool in FM. So how to set it to send analog audio from PC1 to PC2?
[/quote]

There probably is many ways how to "skin the cat," but to make it simple, you need to bridge Analog "world" on PC1 to Dante world, where PC2 with ST is listening. But I would do this only in case, when PC1 (better spoken - radio player - or source on PC1) is not directly Dante enabled. You could still do this, by using a digital (virtual) mixer like "Voicemeeter Potato" which can be homed on Dante sound card on PC1, yet still can take-in inputs from PC (analog environment) via "Voicemeeter virtual Asio inserts" etc. (Sounds scary, but works as a charm). Pay attention to gain-staging here, since you are mixing two different audio domains. Real digital (or Dante) zero will be minus (approximately -18dB analog). It takes some calibration and measurements.

-----------------------------------

The best would be to connect a radio software (or any Asio capable programmed player - I use Boss) to Dante sound card on PC1. Then open Dante Controller and patch outputs from PC1 to input on PC2 with ST. All done!

I normally connect player to ST this way (from one PC to another) then I would take output from ST and send it to mixing console. (Also Dante). Plus one more trip (from within the console) to the third PC with DAW with some mastering help like (Iron SPL mastering compressor plugin etc. Especially in case you want to "glue" MICs and music together better than console with deep processing can do). Third PC though is used (as an insert) by console audio chain for primary strip, or mixing bus/matrix needs). That is the magic of Dante. You can make several trips (in and out) to many computers in the studio, where each machine can do something useful. Try that and you will never look back. (Not just for broadcasting, but for mixing and mastering needs).

I did not figure out how to upload some screen shots here. You are welcome to send some kind of direct message with your mail address and I can send a few illustrations.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:20 pm 

For obvious reasons you can't send analogue audio from one PC to another using anything other than an analogue audio wire - but I think this was just a slip of words.

In your scenario I would probably not use Dante, because it needs a grandmaster clock, which ideally should be a hardware Dante device. You *could* use Dante Via, which can act as a grandmaster clock, but that would cost you a total of ~100 EUR in licenses, and unless you enroll more devices you won't make use of the flexibility.

If you use Windows, give VBAN Audio a go:
https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/vban.htm

You use the Voicemeeter virtual audio mixer als a source, and the VBAN receptor or another Voicemeeter mixer as a sink.

And final question: does it need to be windows? Jack on linux is such a great solution for low latency network wide audio, with all the benefits of a stable ecosystem. I still wonder why the whole broadcast businesses all stick with Windows for mission critical systems, and fiddle with settings to avoid automatic upgrades, restarts, feature changes and all that silliness of Windows.