All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:19 am 

Hello from Australia :)

I have started testing ST 9.52 on Linux (previously running 9.40) and noticed the new Bass Clipper settings.

Applying shape Asymptotic (stage 1) delivers a good improvement on bass clipper processing.

I've also been playing with the post clipper in stage 2.

I don't have a full understanding of how these new features work and could not find anything in the documentation.

Is there a description of how these features work ?

Many thanks

BeDazzler.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:24 am 

There is an overshoot softness setting, which lets through more bass (i.e. it doesn't clip as strictly) thereby creating overshoots. The second stage clipper can be used to clip these overshoots, but at a higher level than the first clipper.

The new asymptotic mode is a different way of (soft) clipping that does not allow overshoots. This makes the second stage clipper basically redundant. I like the bass clipper best with this new asymptotic mode and the second stage disabled.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:05 am 

Hi Mathijsco,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I also like the new Asymptotic mode, it produces consistent bass and keeps the mids clean.

I found using stage 2 does clean up bass rumble making for a cleaner, punchier clipped bass sound.

When I look at the sound in my spectrum analyzer I can see the bass clipping is more rounded and definately much smoother.

Sounding great, I've deployed 9.52 live for a listen this weekend on my CHR stream.

Happy to hear feedback.

http://listen10.as.amplifystreaming.com ... sh_128.aac

Cheers

BeDazzler.