All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:00 am 

Hi, I am currently testing Stereo Tool, and while I am happy with the software as a whole I'm experiencing issues with audio break-ups.

At random times, usually after hours of playback but sometimes less, the audio starts to glitch and break-up in an ugly way. It doesn't skip or turn to silence, it just breaks up heavily or goes robotic.

The issue is definitely with the buffer as the scale breaks, I've enabled the restart sound card option and it has restarted for over-runs, so that's the issue.

The current setup is playout software > Virtual Audio cable > Dragonfly Red soundcard, however eventually I want to stream output with playout software > Virtual Audio cable > another Virtual Audio cable. I'm not using ASIO as I don't seem to have the option for either the input or the output. It's all at 44.1 and the CPU use is 13% for the application and 20% as a whole on a high-end system that I don't think is the problem.

I'm aware the supporting documentation suggests that the issue is different sound card clocks, and to use the "Synchronize with different output" option. However, that option seems to be greyed out for me:

The M number is slowly dropping at the moment, it was 0.98 when I started this post. I am guessing this option is what I need to fix this, but I don't know how to use it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:08 am 

Every soudcard in windows including VACs need to be same sample rate (44.1 or 48), both playback and recording. ST ofcourse also need to be that samplerate, so first check that.
Dont use output sync, it does not work as it should, instead use input sync, luckily it will do the job. Don't use AUTO, use ON or OFF.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:20 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure why the setting is grayed out, but the fact that you see the M value means that it's actually working. But your resample value is set to 0.1% - that's probably too low. 0.5% is the default. So, increase it (not too much though! - 0.5% is usually fine).

By the way,
- OFF means never synchronize
- ON means always synchronize
- AUTO means: Check sound card names, synchronize if they are not the same.