All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:00 pm 

Hello. I visited someone through a friend yesterday whose DJ system plays every tune with all frequencies being constant, mine does the opposite. He is using a TOA processing unit, I am seeking a software which will do the same for me. Does Stereo Tool do this and if yes, which version please? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 pm 

We PM'd about this and I thought I'd leave the relevant answers here for others who come across this thread :)
The short answer: most of the applications offered have Stereo Tool integrated. So take your pick.

The stand alone free Stereo Tool application works for all audio across your computer. This includes audio as part of videos you play. Not just audio-only media.

If you need a VST plugin for your DJ software, all you would need the is the Basic license to allow the VST plugin to work without beeps. If your DJ software supports Winamp DSP plugins, you might want to get that version instead, which I believe is free for basic use.

Some modules like the Delossifier, Declipper, Natural Dynamics, Auto EQ, Dynamic band speeds, etc require the basic license as well as their own additional purchases.

If you need to process files instead, you should probably use WatchCat. It allows you to import a settings file you created in Stereo Tool and apply it to various file types. The change is saved in files on your drive when using WatchCat, as opposed to being only audibly changed on the fly like normal Stereo Tool operation. However for WatchCat to process videos, I believe it needs its own registered license.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:19 pm 

Truly very sorry for having taken this long to get to this. I had a lot going on.

I have only now installed the Standalone version of Stereo Tool [ST] and can use some guidance please.

So the question is would I be able to use ST to keep all frequencies balanced from one tune to another? I have your file with your settings in your pm [thank you!] which I can try out but will only be able to do at my rig on Saturday. Meantime I can try experimenting on my small pc speakers.

Initial question is my DJ Software which is what I use most of the times has a built in Compressor Limiter which works well to control the overall volume level, should I disable it or leave as is please?

Also, I am wondering if maybe first running all of the files on my HDD through a processor will help and if yes, any recommended processor for this purpose please?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:48 pm 

Quote:
So the question is would I be able to use ST to keep all frequencies balanced from one tune to another?
Yes, with proper multiband compressor settings, this is possible. The configuration file I sent you applies extreme compression to 16 bands across 2 multibands. This is usually not recommended. Try some of the presets included with the software for a much more professional sound.
Quote:
Initial question is my DJ Software which is what I use most of the times has a built in Compressor Limiter which works well to control the overall volume level, should I disable it or leave as is please?
You would probably want to disable the effects on your DJ software and allow Stereo Tool to handle any audio processing that might be done by the software. I'm guessing Stereo Tool will likely have a better auto-gain control, compressor, and limiter than the ones built into the DJ software (once properly configured).
Quote:
Also, I am wondering if maybe first running all of the files on my HDD through a processor will help and if yes, any recommended processor for this purpose please?
The answer to this question is that you would probably want to keep the original files in their original forms, rather than using something to process them all. This is because Stereo Tool is always being updated, refined, and new features are often included with each update.

However if you want to do this anyway (for putting processed copies onto your phone or whatever) you should use WatchCat, found on the Stereo Tool download page. You can import a .STS (Stereo Tool processing configuration file) and apply processing to copies of your tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:46 pm 

Got it, will do as advised, thanks.

I have been searching for a good tutorial especially for a video on using ST but everything I am seeing is showing for "FM" applications. Would you be able to link me to the best tutorial even if just written which will show me how to use ST for Mp3's instead of FM please?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:43 am 

Have you checked out the Documentation section, found on the Stereo Tool website itself? It should have very detailed explanations of each module and how to configure them. It's much better than anything I can offer.

https://www.stereotool.com/documentation/

For the initial setup itself, you probably want to choose Normal Output.

https://www.stereotool.com/documentatio ... und-cards/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:15 pm 

Thanks, I am waiting on support from my DJ Software to find out how to disable their effects so I can then try this out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:54 pm 

The DJ software guys showed me how to disable the Automatic Gain Control and the Compressor, they recommend leaving the Limiter active.

I am trying to familiarize myself with the Interface and options while looking at the manual but sorry I will need to ask what might seems to be basic or even stupid questions so please bear with me while I try to grasp all of this.

With the interface open I am seeing Multiband 1 and 2 as already active so what else might there be for me to do please?

Also, if I am understanding correctly, would I need to route the DJ software's output through ST's Input then select ST's Output as the Headphone OUT?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:42 pm 

Quote:
With the interface open I am seeing Multiband 1 and 2 as already active so what else might there be for me to do please?

Also, if I am understanding correctly, would I need to route the DJ software's output through ST's Input then select ST's Output as the Headphone OUT?
Try selecting various presets from the drop down menu (Generic or Soft) and then click the part of the screen that tells you you're using features without a license. This will take you to the license screen, and the bottom button should disable any paid parameters or effects. Do this until you find something close to how you want it to sound (with unlicensed features disabled) then start tweaking things from there. Try starting with the equalizer.

Aside from the Mulltibands, there is also the Single Band compressor, as well as the auto-gain-control to help put things around the same average volume.

What you describe as far as chaining from your DJ Software to Stereo Tool, then out to Headphone should work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:13 pm 

wELL, I just heard back from one of the guys on the OTSAV forum and this is his response:

"You cannot point Ots at ST, you need to configure the link in ST

Configure ST's input to be wherever Ots is sending its output, then set ST's output to where you want it, which must obviously be different from the input.

From your screenshot, you don't seem to have enough independant audio connections so you'll probably need to add another sound card or at least another driver such as a virtual audio cable.

If you use a virtual cable, point Ots at its input, and ST's input to the cable's output. Then you can point ST's output to your speakers. As ST is targeted at radio stations you may also need to point the FM output somewhere."

If the above is accurate this means I will need to configure everything in ST.