All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Higher output bitrate
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:17 pm 

Good afternoon,

we use Stereotool and are very satisfied. If we use it as a command line tool, the output is unfortunately always MP3 - 128kbps, can we change this to looseless, i.e. flac or wav?

Greetings

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:21 am 

Hi,

The command line version does not have an MP3 encoder. It only reads/outputs PCM Wave. Maybe you're confusing it with another tool?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:08 pm 

Hi!

Sorry, maybe I misspoke. The file type is still WAV, but the bitrate is now only 128kbps, so no longer looseless.

Last edited by KVM on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 32 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:05 pm 

There is no such thing as a 128kbit/s PCM file. Also the file sizes are identical which means the bitrate is identical as well. My guess is that you're looking at the spectrum and that you mistake the lowpass filter for MP3 encoding. MP3 usually applies a lowpass filter, but not each lowpass filter means MP3 compression.
Under Processing > Bandpass you can configure ST's lowpass and highpass filters.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:46 pm 

Oh sorry, thank you :D

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:00 pm 

not to be condescending but is there really a reason to process and keep audio above what the human ear can hear which is typically 16Khz ?
sure, there may be audio at frequencies above 16Khz but if you cant hear it, whats the point ?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:50 am 

Quote:
not to be condescending but is there really a reason to process and keep audio above what the human ear can hear which is typically 16Khz ?
sure, there may be audio at frequencies above 16Khz but if you cant hear it, whats the point ?
Hi. From my understanding the oversampling has to do with a few things, chiefly anti-aliasing: wiki Oversampling#Anti-aliasing

The sampling rate needs to be at least double what the maximum auduble frequency is. So for 22050hz you need a sampling rate of 44100hz or higher. wiki Nyquist frequency

More info about it in this article: wiki Sampling (signal processing)#Sampling rate

edit: Oh, i might have misread your question. I believe the answer would be while adults hearing starts to fade out in the upper end of the spectrum around 16khz, children can often hear up to the full 20khz. Loss of frequencies is common with age. wiki Hearing range

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:27 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Hi. From my understanding the oversampling has to do with a few things, chiefly anti-aliasing: wiki Oversampling#Anti-aliasing

The sampling rate needs to be at least double what the maximum auduble frequency is. So for 22050hz you need a sampling rate of 44100hz or higher. wiki Nyquist frequency

More info about it in this article: wiki Sampling (signal processing)#Sampling rate

edit: Oh, i might have misread your question. I believe the answer would be while adults hearing starts to fade out in the upper end of the spectrum around 16khz, children can often hear up to the full 20khz. Loss of frequencies is common with age. wiki Hearing range
Im 49 years old and my ears does not hear more beyond to 16 kHz... but I feel (hear) differences in sound when I set up the lowpass filter at 16 kHz or 18 kHz... i "feel" that at 18 kHz sound more natural or better, even making blind tests...