All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:37 pm 

I've run a music stream for a few years and have active listeners, one in particular says the highs, especially vocals have a hiss. I've worked in radio all my life, between headphones and loud concerts I've fried my hearing and don't hear highs well. it's hard to fix what you can't hear. And I'm not even sure where I would go to fix it. I have the whole package for stereo tool and very new to it all. I think it sounds great, would love other opinions. My stream is RadioBrent.com, also available as an app in your phone store. I would love to figure out the hiss issue.

Thanks for any help!

Brent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:18 am 

Fellow broadcast guy here. I've been listening for several hours -- really enjoy your classic rock mix -- and other than ST doing an occasional background noise "suck up" on older analog-recorded tunes (extreme example: what sounds like cue-burn on the intro to Buddy Miles "River"), I just don't hear hiss.
I do notice that your upper highs are... forgive me... a bit high. Maybe it's just that one listener who is sensitive to "tizzy" highs, or just the sound of codec audio, and they don't know how best to describe what they are hearing. Or they just don't like any processing; can't help there :(
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't make drastic changes for one listener. If you have equalization turned on, maybe back down frequencies above about 7.5K a db or two -- small changes, please. You may also want to look at using or adjusting the noise gate to slow down the processing on the highs.
Stream sounds great, keep it up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:16 pm 

Quote:
Fellow broadcast guy here. I've been listening for several hours -- really enjoy your classic rock mix -- and other than ST doing an occasional background noise "suck up" on older analog-recorded tunes (extreme example: what sounds like cue-burn on the intro to Buddy Miles "River"), I just don't hear hiss.
I do notice that your upper highs are... forgive me... a bit high. Maybe it's just that one listener who is sensitive to "tizzy" highs, or just the sound of codec audio, and they don't know how best to describe what they are hearing. Or they just don't like any processing; can't help there :(
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't make drastic changes for one listener. If you have equalization turned on, maybe back down frequencies above about 7.5K a db or two -- small changes, please. You may also want to look at using or adjusting the noise gate to slow down the processing on the highs.
Stream sounds great, keep it up.
Thank you very much, I appreciate your time!