All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:25 pm 

Hello everyone

Some of you might have been following my trials and tribulations to get a streaming system running with a Raspberry Pi.

I am temporarily sending the audio to an external server and would love your feedback, the good, the bad and the ugly!

*stream turned off*

Please bear in mind, this is a very simple home set up. For now, the random genres of music are being fed from a DAP and nothing more I'm afraid :-)

Sometimes the music stops and I have to manually nudge the source. If I'm asleep or out it may stay like that for a while.

Also the encoder is sending out the stream in AAC 320K 48khz, but the external server is downsampling to 44.1khz.

Let me know how it's sounding to your ears if you catch the output :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:12 pm 

Turning the stream off for now.....

Happy to turn it back on if anyone wants to have a listen and give feedback on how it sounds :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:34 pm 

I listened for a bit yesterday, and I didn't have anything pop out at me that seemed out of place that I wanted to mention. Bass is deep, stream is loud, and distortion is minimal (from what I could tell).

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:29 am 

Quote:
I listened for a bit yesterday, and I didn't have anything pop out at me that seemed out of place that I wanted to mention. Bass is deep, stream is loud, and distortion is minimal (from what I could tell).
Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to my temporary streaming link, it made me very happy!

However, I can't take all the credit.

All I did was to make sure that I had a good quality source, used the highest quality codec I could find for most internet radio sets, I made sure that the whole audio path was 48Khz (except that the external server downsampled to 44.1khz), and I changed settings to optimise for lossy compression. I also turned off the band pass filter and the hard limit (I am not sending to an FM transmitter - just to Icecast). I configured Liquidsoap to use the Fdkaac codec and also allow it to encode up to 20khz bandwidth. I found that Fdkacc was much better than the AAC encoder in ffmpeg.

Credit goes to Bojcha for the Hello NINE! preset to which I had made minor changes to - great job! I think he did most of the hard work to help the stream sound good. He really is the ST settings guru!