All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:45 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you all for you input i really appreaciate it. :idea:
We mainly use MP3 since all we play is Dj sets send to us mostly at 320kbps MP3.
Also ACC is not natively supported yet for Streaming in StereoTool.
Anyway now the stream is at 256 kbps MP3.

@Bojcha i made some changes based on your recommendations. Also decreased loudness a fair bit.
At least some of our listeners made positive comments so this is a good start i hope!
Why don't you go all the way to 320K for MP3?

You could use an encoder supporting AAC such as BUTT (if you are not using a Raspberry Pi that is!) - it appears to support AAC encoding out of the box.

But the biggest issue you have is your source - if you could insist that your DJs send sets in a higher quality format (hi res) such as FLAC or WAV, then at least your source is no longer the weakest link.
Yes i know about BUTT used to use it in the past but i had a few crashes due to audio routing so i decided againts it and use Stereotool internal streaming far more stable.
Yes i tried but only few of them send wavs.
Do you think it will make such a difference since nowdays most DJs use 320kbps MP3s to play.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:46 pm 

I think that the problem with that is the re encode, the DJs source is almost mp3 and they mix that mp3 for make his sets and re encoding in mp3 again, and you stream it in mp3, the program was re encoding 3 times and mp3 is bad for that… AAC is better… but lossless is lossless.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:50 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you all for you input i really appreaciate it. :idea:
We mainly use MP3 since all we play is Dj sets send to us mostly at 320kbps MP3.
Also ACC is not natively supported yet for Streaming in StereoTool.
Anyway now the stream is at 256 kbps MP3.

@Bojcha i made some changes based on your recommendations. Also decreased loudness a fair bit.
At least some of our listeners made positive comments so this is a good start i hope!
Why don't you go all the way to 320K for MP3?

You could use an encoder supporting AAC such as BUTT (if you are not using a Raspberry Pi that is!) - it appears to support AAC encoding out of the box.

But the biggest issue you have is your source - if you could insist that your DJs send sets in a higher quality format (hi res) such as FLAC or WAV, then at least your source is no longer the weakest link.
Yes i know about BUTT used to use it in the past but i had a few crashes due to audio routing so i decided againts it and use Stereotool internal streaming far more stable.
Yes i tried but only few of them send wavs.
Do you think it will make such a difference since nowdays most DJs use 320kbps MP3s to play.
These days I would not recommend using MP3 as source material. It's lossy and does make a lot of compromises to achieve what it does in terms of saving space. Those with keen ears can hear the artifacts. It was great in its heyday in the 90s, but nowadays there are much better choices.

What you ideally want are lossless sources like WAV and FLAC. Source is everything!

I have Djay Pro 2 which can use high res sources even from Tidal which is very neat and you can mix in between them.

So for playing back through internet radio, 320K MP3 (or even better, AAC) is OK, probably the best they can support unless they can support FLAC at higher resolutions.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:56 pm 

https://www.thimeo.com/blog/pre-process ... eclipping/

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:00 pm 

Quote:
I think that the problem with that is the re encode, the DJs source is almost mp3 and they mix that mp3 for make his sets and re encoding in mp3 again, and you stream it in mp3, the program was re encoding 3 times and mp3 is bad for that… AAC is better… but lossless is lossless.
Agreed! Much better to leave the MP3 encode as late as possible, when it is streamed out to the internet. But before then, keep it as lossless as possible!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:17 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed! Much better to leave the MP3 encode as late as possible, when it is streamed out to the internet. But before then, keep it as lossless as possible!
Yes i know about that. But what can you do. Even syndicated Radio Shows from Big Name DJs are deliverd as 320 MP3. Except very few who also supply WAVs as well as MP3.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:25 pm 

I guess if you're stuck with mp3, you might look into getting the Delossifier addon for Stereo Tool. It's not the best possible option, but it's a better one than nothing.

https://www.stereotool.com/documentatio ... lossifier/

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:42 pm 

Quote:
I have allready read the article. So in my current situation do you guys think i should turn off the decliper?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:45 pm 

Quote:
I guess if you're stuck with mp3, you might look into getting the Delossifier addon for Stereo Tool. It's not the best possible option, but it's a better one than nothing.

https://www.stereotool.com/documentatio ... lossifier/
I tried the delossifier and i did not think it made a notable imporvement so when i perchused Stereotool i did not get a license.
I will defenatly check again.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:52 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I have allready read the article. So in my current situation do you guys think i should turn off the decliper?
No