All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:02 am 

Now with Surround Over Headphones. Zeroed in on the sound I want: Loud, Aggressive. Seems to work with most music. What do you think? http://stream.zeno.fm/a9gqyq6kx38uv
Edit: Updated the sound to loud, aggressive. Punch seems to take care of itself.

Edit2: Completely reconfigured using my own surround upmixer. Surround-Over-Headphones no longer experimental. Moved to all streams (except Gospel) at https://nytalentmedia.com. Each has a slightly different flavor. Please sample and let me know your thoughts.

Edit3: Just upgraded to impossibly loud, aggressive surround over headphones sound. What do you think? Too much?

Last edited by Keno84 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:01 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Loud, Agressive
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:57 am 

Hi! :D

I'm not sure why there haven't been many posts here, but I like your settings. The loudness isn't overbearing so as to crunch the dynamic range - there is openness as if your music sources are lossless or of extremely good quality, or that the processing setting are really opening up the sound consistently so instrument positioning and presence is heard in most of the recordings. This is not always easy for processors to do, since some recordings use processing to position using psyhoaccoustics rather than actual positioning with panning, making it a bit more difficult for processing to do it's magic. Examining your waveform, we see the effects of the processing and consistency on the dynamic and peak control and while listening it isn't negatively affecting the listener experience at all. In fact, it is enhancing it at times, adding more sparkle and as many people describe it, punch to emphasize some of the emotional portions of the music that should be perceived with more momentary focus on it. This is a really nice sounding station that is likely to retain listeners a lot longer than others with similar content that are perceived as being a bit "muddier" because the dynamic range is compressed, and the bass and treble decreases haven't been adequately compensated for because the more you compress the more frequency response is lost. This is something a lot of people forget, or try to compensate for pre-compression. Speaking of which, Stereo Tool has an option for having your source material all EQ'd similarly. There is a checkbox that makes sure the frequency response of your audio signal is the same from source to source. If it isn't being used, It might be a good idea to experiment and see if this adds a bit more consistency to your material if you are playing a variety of quality source material.

Post subject: Re: Loud, Agressive
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:21 pm 

Quote:
Hi! :D

I'm not sure why there haven't been many posts here, but I like your settings. The loudness isn't overbearing so as to crunch the dynamic range - there is openness as if your music sources are lossless or of extremely good quality, or that the processing setting are really opening up the sound consistently so instrument positioning and presence is heard in most of the recordings. This is not always easy for processors to do, since some recordings use processing to position using psyhoaccoustics rather than actual positioning with panning, making it a bit more difficult for processing to do it's magic. Examining your waveform, we see the effects of the processing and consistency on the dynamic and peak control and while listening it isn't negatively affecting the listener experience at all. In fact, it is enhancing it at times, adding more sparkle and as many people describe it, punch to emphasize some of the emotional portions of the music that should be perceived with more momentary focus on it. This is a really nice sounding station that is likely to retain listeners a lot longer than others with similar content that are perceived as being a bit "muddier" because the dynamic range is compressed, and the bass and treble decreases haven't been adequately compensated for because the more you compress the more frequency response is lost. This is something a lot of people forget, or try to compensate for pre-compression. Speaking of which, Stereo Tool has an option for having your source material all EQ'd similarly. There is a checkbox that makes sure the frequency response of your audio signal is the same from source to source. If it isn't being used, It might be a good idea to experiment and see if this adds a bit more consistency to your material if you are playing a variety of quality source material.
Thank you for the in depth analysis of the sound of my stream. It was just what I was looking for. I sent a couple of PMs to you but this reply sums those up. ATM I'm using Stereo Tool as a pre-prcessor. I'm using Bojchar's Studio One Default with some minor alterations to get the sound I want to start with. I follow it with a bunch of vst filters that do the heavy lifting to get the sound I want. What you heard on Oct. 19th was the result of the filters following a generic compressor/limiter. So far I like the sound of the filters following Stereo Tool. I looked for the eq switch you mentioned but I couldn't find what looked like it, perhaps it's because I'm not using Auto EQ or Bass EQ.