All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:13 pm 

Hi everyone i was reading about these on www.thimeo.com/micrompx and am curious about Raspberry Pi 4 and HifiBerry . They look like from what I have seen so far something like an electronic kit you can add new boards to . I read you might need a sound card and a transmitter box ? Lol for some thing i thought this was a handheld device for a blackberry Rolf idk.

Can anyone give some information on a basic set up of this and where the parts are available from? As Ebay seems to have a lot of parts lol . If you have already done all this could you give me some heads up please ?. Please start t the beginning as the information on Thimeo page is really brief .

Thank you for looking Martin.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:32 am 

Quote:
Hi everyone i was reading about these on www.thimeo.com/micrompx and am curious about Raspberry Pi 4 and HifiBerry . They look like from what I have seen so far something like an electronic kit you can add new boards to . I read you might need a sound card and a transmitter box ? Lol for some thing i thought this was a handheld device for a blackberry Rolf idk.

Can anyone give some information on a basic set up of this and where the parts are available from? As Ebay seems to have a lot of parts lol . If you have already done all this could you give me some heads up please ?. Please start t the beginning as the information on Thimeo page is really brief .

Thank you for looking Martin.
Hi

The most important thing to highlight is that you should only buy Raspberry Pis from official reputable resellers - not the overcharging scalpers on eBay! The official resellers will only charge the rates set by Raspberry Pi Ltd. Scalpers will rip you off!

Use www.rpilocator.com to check for stock in your country.

I have found it easier to buy the kits rather than the single boards. The kits will usually include the official power supply (do not use anything else if you want reliable performance!), a case, HDMI lead and SD Card. Sometimes they will also offer a mouse and keyboard.

Once you have your Raspberry Pi, you can then buy the HiFiBerry board from them directly in Switzerland or from one of their official resellers. I know Pi Hut sell them in the UK. I purchased their DAC-ADC Plus board and very easily connected it to the header on the Raspberry Pi 4. I also purchased the official metal case from HifiBerry which had sufficient space for both boards.

I then set up the software including, in my case, Stereo Tool for 24/7 audio processing. The same box also encodes and streams the audio using Liquidsoap and Icecast. It has never missed a beat! 4Gb seems more than enough for this application.

I since purchased another Raspberry Pi 4 with 2Gb to act as audio transport. I installed an image of Moode Audio and it now constantly plays music from my NAS. The audio output feeds to an external Topping DAC via USB and works perfectly! I can control Moode using a web browser on my computers or phones, even when outdoors through VPN.

The stuff really is a marvel, and I am amazed how reliable Raspberry Pi is alongside having low power consumption. Credit must also go to the teams behind Stereo Tool, Moode, Liquid Soap, Icecast, Open Media Vault, Pi Hole, Raspberry Pi OS, Wireguard and many others I have forgotten for writing fine software that runs reliably 24/7!

I could never do this back in the Windows days, things often needed rebooting, things sometimes crashed, but not in the wonderful world of Raspberry Pi/Linux!

Anyway, it's nothing like soldering or assembling an electronic kit unless you decide to create your own external hardware, designing PCBs, soldering components and so on. I've not needed to.

If you have any other questions please fire away!