All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:25 am 

I am very happy with Stereo Tool WinAmp version but I'd like to get the standalone working so that my DVD's and other audio apps will be channeled through it.

I install it but cannot get any sound to process through it. Is it designed to allow internal apps to be processed or does it only take external input through the 'line in' of the sound card?

Any help would be appreciated.

Basically my system is a HP laptop running Windows Vista SP1 full updates applied. My sound chipset is Conexant.
I have the same issue with my desktop as well so I don't think it's an issue limited to my laptop.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Sorry, the stand alone version only takes external sources... If you want to process DVDs etc, your options are:

If your audio is decoded and played by software:

- Play them through a player that supports Winamp or VST plugins (still, the audio must be played by software, not automatically by the DVD player - so this is probably not going to work)

- If the audio is DivX/XVid/MP3/WAV/..., and it can be decoded by FFDShow, you can configure FFDShow such that it sends the data through Stereo Tool before sending it to the player.

In case you have a player that plays through software but doesn't support Winamp/VST plugins, and the FFDShow solution doesn't help, you could use a program like Virtual Audio Cable (costs $20) or Jack for Windows (free, but only supports ASIO, and difficult to use). See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43&p=205&hilit=virtual#p205 for more info. Some sound card drivers also include this feature, so you don't need any extra software.

If your audio is played through a cable between your DVD drive and your audio card:

- Configure your sound card such that such that it records the DVD output, and turn the monitoring (playback) volume of the DVD output down (mute it). Then configure Stereo Tool such that it processes the sound card input and sends it to the output. If this works, see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68&p=307#p307 for hints to keep the audio and video synchronized.

Unfortunately, while in Linux processing audio coming from other programs is apparently very easy, in Windows it would be an entire project of its own... (like Virtual Audio Cable is).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:25 pm 

Thanks.

Judging from the wording about the stand alone version I thought that might be my problem.

Well, I will continue to try to finagle Windows into doing it.

Great tool though. It truly improves the sound quality even using cheap speakers.
I will be either making a donation or fully registering soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:50 am 

Quote:
I am very happy with Stereo Tool WinAmp version but I'd like to get the standalone working so that my DVD's and other audio apps will be channeled through it.

I install it but cannot get any sound to process through it. Is it designed to allow internal apps to be processed or does it only take external input through the 'line in' of the sound card?

Any help would be appreciated.

Basically my system is a HP laptop running Windows Vista SP1 full updates applied. My sound chipset is Conexant.
I have the same issue with my desktop as well so I don't think it's an issue limited to my laptop.
The key IMHO is the sound card, type, make/model which support allowing you to play DVDs and other audio inputs.

This key is " kernal streaming ". Some may disagree with this BUT " kernal streaming " will allow you to talk or communicate directly with your sound card. IF and only IF your sound card supports DVD or othe input then ST(stereo tool) will give you or statisfy your needs or requirements.

I have a Creative X-fi Elite Pro sound card and use ST:

a. with SAM4 for internet radio
b. with SAMDJ for personal nad party music
c. with the DVD player from my sound card

There is a drawback namel, the card is expensive BUT it the the better out there NOT only giving you an Entertainment mode BUT also a Gaming mode and Audio creation mode. ST in all of the three instances will enhance the audio thus meeting your needs.

Certainly we all know that each system is different and we must take a look at the enviroment that ST is present in.

1. hardware
2. OS
3. connectivity(if used for broadcasting)

It is not easy but once done unherald in quality of audio.

regards

mapleleaf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:20 pm 

I certainly agree mapleleaf. The quality of the equipment makes the difference. I don't have much choice on my laptop but I could spend the money on a good sound card for my desktop. I probably will just as soon as I can.

Thanks for the info on Creativ's card. I have always liked their products.