All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool issues
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:24 am 

Night and day. Breakaway was quite a product in it's day but promises to upgrade it never materialized and as a result, ST left it in the dust. To me, Breakaway's audio downfall was in cleanly passing voice. ST's voice processing is quite silky and smooth...almost a total lack of distortion even when pushed hard. I'm from the school of thought that if you can cleanly process male voice, the music tends to fall in line. Another thing about Breakaway that isn't good is that it allows only a few tweaks to each preset--and the presets haven't been updated in years to my knowledge. Leif is a wonderful guy but since the Omnia 9 was introduced (and I do care for a station with one), it seems that Breakaway has been left to wither and die. I don't think you'd be missing anything if you spent all your time on ST and bypassed the time spent looking into Breakaway. Sad, but I think that is a pretty realistic assessment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:24 am 

ST is the best choice for sure.I did the mod on the M192,still had the same issue on B&W.I really believe BBP had issues.I know several users had skipping issues with the BBP asio version even while using the Marian card.Same users switched to ST,problem solved..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:16 pm 

Thanks for the input! I do like what I hear through Stereo Tool.

Regarding the M-Audio modification. The person who wrote the tutorial was complaining about the low end response and having to cut a circuit board trace. However, when I hit the 30 Hz test tone from ST through mine, I think it is very clean. I posted the modification link on the M-Audio forum (so to speak) and did not get any replies. I may just leave the sound card alone.

With any luck, I should get the ST computer on line on Tuesday.