All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:02 pm 

Hello -

I have just discovered Stereo Tool, and am very happy with the sounds, and continue to experiment.

I was hoping I could use it for a near-live microphone processing sound in a webcast, however, the latency I'm experiencing is making this prohibitive.

ST: v6.10
CPU: Core i7 L640, 2.13GHz
Memory: 2GB
Sound Card: IDT High Definition Audio

The latency I'm seeing is on the input to the output is on the order of 4 seconds. (4000ms) I've tried the movie (12ms) setting, and the latency still seems very high (nearly 4000ms). Even in bypass, the latency is still high.

What can I do to reduce this latency?

I have not attempted this with Winamp and the line-in plugin yet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:44 pm 

Hi Ohangelo..

To make Standalone version for microphone (or any lowlatency) processing, you first need good soundcard with ASIO support.
So, by activating ASIO in ST you can have really low latency IN>OUT.
Also, Good CPU is needed, for even lower latency, depend what filters you will use.
What you tryed also can have lower latency in standalone. Just try to lower buffer size in "configure sound cards" section.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:09 pm 

The latency I was experiencing was related to the buffer - which was set at the default... I will try this with the buffer reduced to something more realistic.

Thanks for the pointer!

I *think* (subject to trial and errors), my sound card/cpu will handle this in a near-live situation (a few dozen ms latency is acceptable, I think)

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

If you enable ASIO and set the buffer sizes as small as possible, you should be able to reach a latency of approx. 17 ms.

To adjust the processing latency, use the Latency buttons on the main window (512, 1024, 2048, 4096). Lower processing latency does mean lower output quality!