All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:54 pm 

So I've been trying to figure this problem out all weekend since installing Stereo Tool.
So just some background info.... I'm running audio from my mixing console into a computer that runs a standalone version of Stereo Tool. I'm using a Behringer UCA 222 sound card (which has always been pretty solid and dependable)
On the output of the processing back to the encoder software on my automation computer I'm hearing a low volume "delayed" version of my audio. I've tried making sure there are no other open sources of audio running on the computer that might be causing feedback.
I've also tried isolating the issue to down to just playing music through the software. When I hit stop on the music I hear a low delayed version for just a second.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, hope I'm not missing something obvious. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:44 am 

Hi. Just to clarify the issue, you're hearing an unprocessed delayed 'echo' of the same audio you're successfully processing and hearing in Stereo Tool?

There's a way to listen to recording devices in the old-school Win7 style Sound Control Panel in Win10 that I don't know how to get to in Win 11. In Win10 you go to the basic sound settings and look on the right for the Sound control panel; Win11 must be similar. Once you've found the Sound control panel, go to the Recording tab and check the Listen tab of each recording device's properties. If the checkbox is filled on any of the audio devices, uncheck it and see if this solves it.

Otherwise, I don't have a better idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:03 am 

Quote:
Hi. Just to clarify the issue, you're hearing an unprocessed delayed 'echo' of the same audio you're successfully processing and hearing in Stereo Tool?

There's a way to listen to recording devices in the old-school Win7 style Sound Control Panel in Win10 that I don't know how to get to in Win 11. In Win10 you go to the basic sound settings and look on the right for the Sound control panel; Win11 must be similar. Once you've found the Sound control panel, go to the Recording tab and check the Listen tab of each recording device's properties. If the checkbox is filled on any of the audio devices, uncheck it and see if this solves it.

Otherwise, I don't have a better idea.
Thanks for the reply. I've check that and it seems to be unchecked. I honestly have not idea if its unprocessed or processed audio. It's rather low but still noticeable. You can't tell it's there when there is music playing, but once you start to heard someone talking...like a voice track or commercial, you can clearly hear it.
When I did some testing this afternoon, I noticed when I was listening to processed music and hit "stop" on the song that was playing, I would hear the delayed audio. When I clicked on bypass and listened to the same music and hit "stop" again...there would be no delay. It seems to be more noticeable across different presets within Stereo Tool.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:55 am 

If it's processed audio, you should be seeing it in the waveform of the oscilloscope in Stereo Tool. Try watching it after pausing music and see how long it takes to stop moving. If it's instantaneous, it's not processed audio. If it continues to show the sound of the echo/delay, it is being processed.

The preset shouldn't have anything to do with any form of delay in the processing. It could load some Configuration (Audio I/O) settings if it's not a built-in preset, but you would have to choose to load those by checking a box. One thing to check is the FM Output. Make sure that's disabled unless you're using it to output to another device. I wonder if it's somehow outputting a copy to another outstream your soundcard has... though I couldn't think of how since I own that card as well (useful for getting digital audio out of the PS5).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:19 pm 

Quote:
If it's processed audio, you should be seeing it in the waveform of the oscilloscope in Stereo Tool. Try watching it after pausing music and see how long it takes to stop moving. If it's instantaneous, it's not processed audio. If it continues to show the sound of the echo/delay, it is being processed.

The preset shouldn't have anything to do with any form of delay in the processing. It could load some Configuration (Audio I/O) settings if it's not a built-in preset, but you would have to choose to load those by checking a box. One thing to check is the FM Output. Make sure that's disabled unless you're using it to output to another device. I wonder if it's somehow outputting a copy to another outstream your soundcard has... though I couldn't think of how since I own that card as well (useful for getting digital audio out of the PS5).
FM Output is turned off. I even tried swapping the HD output for the FM output and had the same results. I also tried the low latency output just to see what happens, this actually helped significantly, but I could still hear a slight delay...only this time it was more of an echo.

I'll try running another test tonight to see if anything shows up in the oscilloscope on the output. If I remember right there was, but I'm not 100 percent certain.

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:17 am 

So after checking the audio again tonight, it's just barely showing up in the oscilloscope...since the audio is so low. I took a sample of just some talking which is where you hear the delay anyway.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10DP_qV ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:03 am 

So after doing some more experimenting...I've noticed that reducing the Output Signal buffer seems to reduce the delay. It was on the default 1000 ms. I decreased it to 99 ms and noticed the delay was shortened?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:33 am 

Quote:
So after doing some more experimenting...I've noticed that reducing the Output Signal buffer seems to reduce the delay. It was on the default 1000 ms. I decreased it to 99 ms and noticed the delay was shortened?
Ah, this makes me think you're hearing louder unprocessed audio before the quieter but more consistent processed audio..?

So this UCA-222, are you using the headphone port or the RCA outs? I want to say there's a monitor switch on the unit that outputs a copy of the input to the headphone port when enabled. Make sure this isn't the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:48 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, this makes me think you're hearing louder unprocessed audio before the quieter but more consistent processed audio..?

So this UCA-222, are you using the headphone port or the RCA outs? I want to say there's a monitor switch on the unit that outputs a copy of the input to the headphone port when enabled. Make sure this isn't the issue.
Yep I'm using the RCA outputs and the monitor switch is off. When I turn it on, I can definitely hear a delay. When I turn it off it reverts back to normal low delay that is coming from Stereo Tool. I've listened through the headphone port on the device and the mixer where I fed the output audio to. I'd like to say maybe it's an issue with the sound cards it self. I've tried on two different UCA sound cards and on a total of 3 different computers and I get the same results.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:52 am 

Well I can confirm that it was indeed the Behringer UCA 222 interface that was causing the issue. I purchased MIDIPLUS Smartface II interface and the delay I was hearing was gone. (The line out on the device doesn't seem to be working since I'm hearding distorted out of that, but that is a convo for me to have with the manufacturer.) But anyway, figured I would update on this and stray people away from using that interface with Stereo Tool.