All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:36 pm 

Downloaded the 9.92 version of dsp_stereo_tool_installer.exe and am not able to run it. Double-click and nothing happens. It's been like this for weeks, and was hoping a new installer would be uploaded, or a Windows feature update would help, but no luck so far.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2364).
Also tried Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1526), same result.
App & browser control is off.
Checked my Avast Antivirus and nothing has been quarantined. Added an exception for the installer, just in case. No change.
Tried running the installer as Administrator. No Change.
Checked Task Manager to see if it was running in the background and hung... No process is running.

$ md5sum dsp_stereo_tool_installer-9.92.exe
4adbfc8e554265d78b2b4620d758afb6 *dsp_stereo_tool_installer-9.92.exe

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Regards,
mikebo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:11 pm 

OK... fixed.
Right-click Properties, and check the box "Run this program as an administrator", click OK, and re-run using double-click.
Installer worked...
Not sure how this is different from right-click, "Run as administrator" but, obviously, there is some difference.
Install problem resolved... however:

Noticed version 9.92 increases CPU utilization over 9.83 to the point where the GUI is stuttering.
Checking "Don't process high frequencies" reduces the stuttering somewhat, but it's still terrible.
Backed out to v9.83 until v10 is out with the new GUI, and will revisit StereoTool then...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:45 am 
Site Admin

That's weird, the installer indicates to Windows that it wants admin rights, so you should have gotten a popup asking for those. I haven't heard complaints about it from anyone else.

I see no difference in CPU usage between 9.83 and 9.92 here, running a full FM preset (it's the same within 1%), so not sure what you are seeing. Did you reload the preset? Built-in presets might be different between versions which can affect the CPU usage, but I see no difference if I load a preset in 9.83 and then start 9.92. (And wouldn't expect to see any difference either).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:51 am 
Site Admin

Oh, I see now that the GUI CPU usage went up quite a bit - from 4.5% to 8.5%, and it gets much worse when moving the mouse (nearly no effect in 9.83, increase to 80% in 9.92). The processing CPU usage is the same. The new GUI's CPU usage depends on which page is open, so it's hard to compare - it does seem to be generally a bit higher (but much lower on some pages).

The full screen metering screen in the new GUI does use more than the heaviest pages in the old GUI in 9.83, but not by a lot (11% vs 8.5%; and the old GUI never had full-screen moving parts).