All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:39 pm 

OK we're back in business.

I followed the Hifiberry way to install Icecast which appears to be a different version and running better without the time outs.

Liquid soap has to be run before ST just like with Darkice.

Alsa loopback still in use.

Trouble seems to ensue if I try to increase the input sample rate from 44.1Khz for some reason, I wanted it 48Khz to match the encoder's output of MP3 320K at 48Khz.

Now I need to tread carefully to see how to get liquidsoap to encode in AAC/Flac etc without breaking anything else....!

By the way, ST runs MUCH better in 64-bit! If you can, I highly recommend using a 64-bit OS for your Raspberry Pi, you get much better performance. It feels far less laggier than it did when on 32-bit. Also the screens look slightly different to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:41 pm 

Concerning BUTT.
If you have a second Pi, you can compile BUTT there and copy the result to your original target. You will need the runtime dependency libraries installed on the target if you aren't happy with changing the compiler switches to create a static binary.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:13 pm 

Quote:
Concerning BUTT.
If you have a second Pi, you can compile BUTT there and copy the result to your original target. You will need the runtime dependency libraries installed on the target if you aren't happy with changing the compiler switches to create a static binary.
I like this idea!

Sadly it seems very hard to get hold of Raspberry Pis these days, it took a lot of time and patience to get the one I am using now. But I will definitely look into getting another one if I can.

I was looking at the various supported codecs of my internet radios and the FLAC option really does look good! I can't copy and paste from the PDF but the range of supported codecs shown on page 68 looks interesting. http://www.aeldownloads.com/robertsradi ... ue.1.a.pdf

As long as I keep within specification of the receiver, including bit and sampling rates, it should be good to go - when I manage to figure out .liq file configuration.

I did try to encode AAC in Liquidsoap but that will need some more work as there were errors in the .liq file.

BUTT does seem a lot easier to use, I had a read about it and it looks like its worth pursuing.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:54 pm 

BTW, you seem to try to accomplish something similar to my setup.
I'm running a Moode-Player on a Pi-Zero with a HifiBerry-amp in my Kitchen and source my music archive through an Icecast stream.

I'm using a Windows desktop machine to feed the stream and do the processing, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:38 pm 

Quote:
BTW, you seem to try to accomplish something similar to my setup.
I'm running a Moode-Player on a Pi-Zero with a HifiBerry-amp in my Kitchen and source my music archive through an Icecast stream.

I'm using a Windows desktop machine to feed the stream and do the processing, though.
Interesting! Very similar here to what you are doing indeed.

I am outputting to my internet radio sets in the house, its nothing custom made like yours. The HifiBerry amp sounds nice actually.

It's nice to continue to listen to the music if I'm in another room, plus it satisfies my job as an amateur home radio broadcast technician ;-)

How do you find using ST to process the audio? I find it makes a massive difference, especially as the internet radios have much smaller speakers than my hifi and also it can be noisy in there sometimes.

Given the power consumption of the Raspberry Pi 4 is something like 7 watts max, I'll probably leave it running 24/7.

I imagine you may have a lot more CPU power available to you, probably not as tight as it is on the Pi.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:45 pm 

I decided to take the risk and compile BUTT on the same box. It compiled and ran fine!

After setting it to point to the icecast server, with AAC 320K encoding, the audio began to stutter. Something was dragging on the CPU to affect performance.

It does look great and so easy to use - I would have stuck with BUTT if it didn't affect performance so much :-(

So back to Liquidsoap and 320K 48Khz MP3 for now.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:13 pm 

Quote:
How do you find using ST to process the audio? I find it makes a massive difference, especially as the internet radios have much smaller speakers than my hifi and also it can be noisy in there sometimes.
I'm loving it. I can't listen to my music without it any more. It's that warm, immersive sound that gets me. I'm using ST since some 6.x or 7. version, before I was using the SoundSolution Winamp DSP Plugin.

My kitchen radio has a a nice set of shelf speakers which due its size still lack the bass, but that can be almost completely compensated for using ST, as long as playing back at medium volume.

My second radio is my smartphone in the car, which has a completely different sound system (much more sophisticated than the kitchen), but sound is very nice there, too.

That is one of the unique features of ST that it can create a very dense and powerful sound, yet still retain the dynamics that don't fatigue the ears.

Triggered by your reports here, I'm going to fire up a Pi4 I've got lying around here and see if I can reproduce what you do using Jack.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:25 pm 

I completely get where you are coming from and your set up sounds great! Sounds like you are really enjoying it.

It will be very interesting to see how you get on with getting Jack to work on your Pi4.

If you can, try to use 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS - I can't go back to 32-bit after seeing things running much more smoothly. The various benchmarking done by others seem to concur with the performance improvements seen on 64-bit :-)

I hope you get it working. From what you said before, the Jack method seems to be the preferred way to link things up. If it can enable the monitoring of the ST output through the RCA jack outputs on the HifiBerry card, that would be awesome!

I'm going to keep an eye on any other ways to get AAC encoding working. It seems one of my radios doesn't support FLAC! So AAC it is for now at 320K/48KHz if possible.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:26 am 

So I downloaded the 64 bit Raspberry OS, BUT not the most recent version - because it won't work in a headless setup as I have at hand right now - they dropped the pi user and enabling SSH in boot partition is useless now.
Instead I used the 2022-01-28-raspios-bullseye-arm64

Fired it up, set up my locale, installed jackd2, started it, downloaded ST 9.90 for ARM64, started it, works.

I also compiled butt, but as you have seen it eats up one CPU core completely. Don't know why. My audio device is a cheap USB Behringer and I'm running jack on ALSA on this device. From here I have every opportunity to route the audio wherever I want it.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:57 am 

Update: just realized that qjackctl is for some reason not available without jackd1. So I switched from jackd2 to jackd1, but things still run fine on my Pi.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next