All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:57 pm 

Hey everyone,

Before I start, just some background info...

I bought one of these https://www.nzpcclearance.co.nz/product ... sff-pc-i5/, to use at our TX site. It runs only VLC, Breakaway pipeline and stand alone Stereo Tool 9.83.

The audio is feed from the station via the internet and is received by VLC at the TX end. Breakaway pipeline is then used to get the audio to ST. All works well to this point. Infact I get the processed sound from ST coming out using the drivers on the inbuilt sound card.

Other features such as RDS work fine too.

So, I then downloaded and installed ASIO4ALL.

I can assign the inputs fine for ASIO, but not the FM sound card. The moment I try, the audio levels of ST go sky high leaving no audio coming out of the TX at all. A message comes up to restart the PC, upon boot, I'm informed ASIO4ALL is now active "512 samples@192000", but still no sound from the sound card to the TX.

Here's what I've tried:
FM Sound Card Output... Output "No ASIO", works. 2L, 2R appears t work, but doesn't. The meters at the bottom of the screen show everything is working, but there's no sound output. Restarting the card doesn't seem to help.

It's almost as if there is a disconnect somewhere between the output of ST and the output of the sound card, but how?

I'm really hopeful someone will be able to give me some guidance. Probably something quite simple that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance,
Baldrick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:35 am 

1. You know that you can directly catch stream with ST input "Stream (via VLC)"? You don't need any player and additional souncard/pipeline.
2. What is output soundcard? It simply must work if you set it properly to use 192kHz. Try also to not use asio if soundcard natively does not support.
Use Input SYNC. Do you have latest driver for soundcard, and not the one that windows installs? You anyway must have disable driver and windows updates.

Another tip: If possible, make your stream 48kHz. It'll make your life easier since ST is acting way better with 48 then 44.1 if output is 192.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:26 am 

Quote:
1. You know that you can directly catch stream with ST input "Stream (via VLC)"? You don't need any player and additional souncard/pipeline.
I was aware but was not sure how to use it. I've just has a look under Input 1 ID and I don't see a VLC option? Various other options including breakaway, WASAPI(?), kernal streaming, etc... but nothing refers to VLC.
Quote:
2. What is output soundcard? It simply must work if you set it properly to use 192kHz. Try also to not use asio if soundcard natively does not support.
Just looking at the audio drivers last release date (Dec, 2015) I'm pretty sure it doesn't support ASIO now. There is an option to use "Realtek ASIO" in the FM output sound card setting, but when clicked a message comes up saying it doesn't support 192k.
Quote:
Use Input SYNC. Do you have latest driver for soundcard, and not the one that windows installs? You anyway must have disable driver and windows updates.
Could you please explain "Use Input Synch"? All drivers have now been updated via Dell's website.
Quote:
Another tip: If possible, make your stream 48kHz. It'll make your life easier since ST is acting way better with 48 then 44.1 if output is 192.
How do I make sure the stream is 48k? If I end up having to use VLC and breakaway pipeline, would I just make 48k the only option?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:52 am 

1. There is, it is in ST Input. Just check list. https://i.imgur.com/RKanJrY.png Once you set "Stream (via VLC)" Just put your "stream URL". You just need VLC to be installed for this to work.
2. You need to go to Realtek website and install their latest drivers. Also You should have Panel for Realtek where you can set samplerate. Also, if there is no panel, you anyway need to set 192kHz in windows10. Control Panel > Sound. There set all 'playback' and 'recording' outputs to 192kHz (if soundcard support). Last thing ofc, to set 192 in ST. Finally, those PCs sometimes knows to have 2 Outputs, one for headphones and one Line-out, so be sure to use Line-Output.
3. Got to ST input and just enable Synchronize to output: ON.
4. I don't know how and with what you are sending stream to TX site (ST). Just if possible set it to 48kHz in your encoder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:24 am 

Awesome, thanks Bojcha!

I discovered that I was running a 32bit version of VLC and suspect that's why it wasn't showing up under input. Now I have the 64bit version of VLC installed, it's there in the list and working wonderfully.

Realtek state I have the most up to date drivers available. So I guess, short of buying a new USB sound card, ASIO is out of the question.

Thanks again for your help!

Baldrick