All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Glitchy Audio
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:57 pm 

I have been using Stereo Tool for a while now and my music sound great! However, I have been having a problem that I can't figure out. Every once in a while (less than one time per minute up to a couple of times a minute) the sound will glitch, almost as if the computer froze for less then a second. I thought it was a buffer issue but the buffer stays rock solid. I have tried changing my sample rate, bit depth, latency, but nothing seems to fix the issue. I have tried different soundcards but the problem continues. I've also tried changing the input device driver/ASIO. A couple of things to note--when the audio glitches the processing display also freezes momentarily. This glitchy/freezing audio does NOT seem to be present on the streaming output.

For reference I am running Stereo Tool 9.50 (I have also tried different versions with no change)
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel Core 15 2400 running at 3.10 Ghz
8GB ram

Audio from RadioDJ (running on same computer)
ESI Juli@ set to 44100 24 bit
Using ASIO driver from input
Output to analog output on same card

Stereo Tool running at high proority
Latency set to 4096
Quality at 100%

Changing these settings did not have any effect on the glitchy audio

Post subject: Re: Glitchy Audio
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:28 pm 

What do you have the CPU and Latency set at. If this is set to low some presets will cause a glitch in the audio

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:36 pm 

Quote:
What do you have the CPU and Latency set at. If this is set to low some presets will cause a glitch in the audio
Processor priority: High
Latency: 4096 samples
Quality: 85% (Was running at 100% but lowered while troubleshooting)
Limit CPU: Limitless

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Please keep an eye on the CPU usage that Stereo Tool reports during a glitch (the display under CPU & Latency). If it jumps up at that point, something on your pc is blocking the processing.

Edit: Or your CPU jumps to a slower speed, that's also possible.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:43 pm 

Quote:
Please keep an eye on the CPU usage that Stereo Tool reports during a glitch (the display under CPU & Latency). If it jumps up at that point, something on your pc is blocking the processing.

Edit: Or your CPU jumps to a slower speed, that's also possible.
Thanks for the suggestion. I monitored and never noticed a change in the CPU usage when a glitch happened. To further test, I ran a CPU benchmark to see if audio would glitch when the CPU was under heavy load but no glitches were noted. I also did the same with the hard drive with no effect.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Try running this tool:
https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

If there's a driver or something else that completely blocks something this will show it. Let it run and let it catch a glitch.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:24 pm 

I know it has been quite a while but the problem continues. I lived with it for a while but am back to trying to track it down.

A couple of notes:
1. Audio stutter happens in all apps that output audio, not just Stereo Tool
2. Audio stutter happens on any sound card, I.e. not limited to just one physical card
3. Audio stutter CAN be heard on streaming audio form Stereo Tool but it is much harder to catch, I.e physical outputs stuttering lasts about 300ms, stream stutters less than 100ms
4. LatencyMon clearly show there is a problem but the source is unclear. Originally it looked like a faulty network card driver. I changed drivers/disabled card while troubleshooting but ultimately it had no effect.

I’m at a loss. Short of a whole new computer, I don’t know what to do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:53 pm 

So it's not ST but something in windows. Did you run that tool Hans posted?

Check this also..
All soundcards outs/ins need to exact be same samplerate in windows (playback/recording), so same in programs (if can be defined). In your case 44100/16bit/stereo. Sometimes you cant define samplerate in some programs and they work/force just one samplerate, so if you use program like that, you must set all/everything to THAT samplertate. For stream program make sure that it has internal samplerate converter, so, for example, if you push 48kHz program will anyway do it 44100, for example, streaming software.

Check all drivers on windows especially ones for motherboard. Check for MB bios updates. Set all power save to OFF/Disabled for all hardware, USB's, LAN's... etc. Disable all windows and driver updates. So basically make PC to minimaly do stuff by itself. You can also disable all C states in bios for CPU and set fixed clock manually.