All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Mac Big Sur and M1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:58 pm 

A new mac is on its way to us, for production work. Of course it has Big Sur on it and has the new M1 chip.
It looks like Stereotool can't handle Big Sur, I tested that on an older mac.

What can we expect from Stereotool and its compatibility with the new mac and the new operating system?

Post subject: Re: Mac Big Sur and M1
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

O. Do you have any idea why it doesn't work in Big Sur? We haven't installed it yet, but is there some clear error message?

I don't expect too many problems with the new chip, we don't support it yet but we do already have ARM builds, so this should just be a combination of OS X and ARM.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:35 pm 

Quote:
O. Do you have any idea why it doesn't work in Big Sur? We haven't installed it yet, but is there some clear error message?

I don't expect too many problems with the new chip, we don't support it yet but we do already have ARM builds, so this should just be a combination of OS X and ARM.
It seems that Stereotool cannot open the sound card (input). Tried many times with different virtual sound cards. I always worked with Loopback, but a Dante card or Soundflower doesn't work either. Error message: "Input: Sound card reopened after receiving no response from it for 5 seconds!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:58 pm 

An update. I cancelled the M1 Mac, because it is not yet compatible with certain software. I now have an Intel Mac, running Big Sur. The problem is that Stereotool can't open the virtual sound cards (incoming sound), which was possible in Catalina. The outgoing sound works via a virtual card.

Fortunately Stereotool in Big Sur can handle the D&R Webstation. That makes everything okay. But it would be nice if Stereotool can handle virtual cards again. That would be nice for off-air production work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:00 pm 

I was having the same problem with Loopback. It worked fine for a long time then I started getting that exact same error message - ST wasn't recognizing the virtual device at all. I'm on an Intel-based MBP, and this was happening even before I updated to Big Sur.

I just stumbled on a workaround. For some reason, if you add a running application to the virtual device in addition to the other sources you need, it will recognize the device. I had a Loopback device that was just the USB from my Allen and Heath mixer (because ST doesn't recognize this mixer directly) and it didn't work at first. As soon as I added Spotify as a second source, suddenly ST started recognizing it. I don't use Spotify at all in this device, but for some reason just having it there makes it recognizable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This worked for me, but of course YMMV.