All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:19 pm 

Stereo Tool is very intriguing to me, but I originate multiple streams from the same Windows system. Is it possible for multiple instances of Stereo Tool (Standalone, not VST) to be installed on a system or maybe multiple configurations and to have those different instances/configurations be remembered for the same on automatic start up with the system start up?

Thank you,
Eric

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:47 am 
Site Admin

Welcome tonsofpcs

The answers are: Yes, yes and yes.

1. Multiple instances of Stereo Tool is no problem, just start them.

2. Different settings is a bit tricky. During startup, Stereo Tool will look for a file stereo_tool.ini in the directory pointed to by environment variable USERPROFILE. (Type 'echo %USERPROFILE% in a DOS box to see the contents).

Now what you can do is write a small .bat or .cmd file in which you overrule the USERPROFILE environment variable, and then Stereo Tool will just look in the directory that you have specified.

Hint: If you want to control the CPU load on your system, and force each Stereo Tool instance to stay on a single core, you might also want to set NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS to 1. (Not sure if that's a good idea though, I have never really tested the behavior of multiple instances at the same time).

For example, you could do the following:
- In C:\StStart\ , create 3 .cmd files for 3 different instances:

C:\StStart\a.cmd
Code:
set USERPROFILE=C:\StStart\A
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Stereo Tool\StereoTool.exe"
C:\StStart\b.cmd
Code:
set USERPROFILE=C:\StStart\B
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Stereo Tool\StereoTool.exe"
Then just make sure that those directories (A and B) exist, and it should work, and both instances should keep their settings. (I don't know if there's an easy way to get rid of the 2 DOS boxes that you'll get this way).

3. For automatic startup, just add the .cmd or .bat files that you created to the startup folder (under the Start menu).

I can imagine that you still have some questions (depending on whether you have experience with working with .cmd files - if you don't just let me know and I'll write a short how-to here).

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:59 pm 

I realize this post is 10 years old, so I wanted to ask if is this still the best way to run multiple instances on the same PC? I cannot seem to find any newer posts about it.

Trey

<EDIT>
Found a newer post that says renaming the .dll or .exe will cause StereoTool to save it's settings under the new name. Just tried it and it seems to work just fine. In my case, StereoToolHD2.exe and StereoToolHD3.exe worked. Only request .... some way to easily identify which ST instance I'm working on. The free silence sensor from PIRA allows the user to edit the text in the top of the window. Brain fart ... use different color schemes! LOL. The Pira way would be nice too.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:12 pm 

Quote:
I realize this post is 10 years old, so I wanted to ask if is this still the best way to run multiple instances on the same PC? I cannot seem to find any newer posts about it.

Trey

<EDIT>
Found a newer post that says renaming the .dll or .exe will cause StereoTool to save it's settings under the new name. Just tried it and it seems to work just fine. In my case, StereoToolHD2.exe and StereoToolHD3.exe worked. Only request .... some way to easily identify which ST instance I'm working on. The free silence sensor from PIRA allows the user to edit the text in the top of the window. Brain fart ... use different color schemes! LOL. The Pira way would be nice too.
'Title bar info'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:37 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Trey

<EDIT>
'Title bar info'
Hi Dear Bojcha,

I’m testing DSP of 2 ST on One Windows system and using 4 CPU Cores in ST. But I find that after few hours one starts stuttering. When off ST It works fine but after switching ST on it starts to stutter or stop and play in seconds continues. Can you please advise in such case if any settings to be done. I’m using the same preset for both ST’s. Bojcha Credit goes to you for the presets. No changes done for the presets.

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:09 pm 

Quote:
Hi Dear Bojcha,

I’m testing DSP of 2 ST on One Windows system and using 4 CPU Cores in ST. But I find that after few hours one starts stuttering. When off ST It works fine but after switching ST on it starts to stutter or stop and play in seconds continues. Can you please advise in such case if any settings to be done. I’m using the same preset for both ST’s. Bojcha Credit goes to you for the presets. No changes done for the presets.

Thank you
I usually use Standalone, actually i always use standalone, and i recently built 2 STs on one windows with 2 players and 2 streaming programs on intel 4 cores CPU i3 9100F. One ST is on core 4 and other one is on core 3. Core 1 and 2 are for everything else, but there is very small load there.
STs are separately installed in folders so they can pull their separate ini files normaly.
About stuttering, it can be CPUm, or host program, but i literally never use DSP since all my setups are permanent.
So if possible try to use Standalone and some free VB cables.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:22 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Dear Bojcha,

Thank you
I usually use Standalone, actually i always use standalone, and i recently built 2 STs on one windows with 2 players and 2 streaming programs on intel 4 cores CPU i3 9100F. One ST is on core 4 and other one is on core 3. Core 1 and 2 are for everything else, but there is very small load there.
STs are separately installed in folders so they can pull their separate ini files normaly.
About stuttering, it can be CPUm, or host program, but i literally never use DSP since all my setups are permanent.
Thank you so much for the reply and knowledge sharing. I am confused in How to set ST’s to different Cores. Cause presently I see that all 4 Cores which are enabled in both ST’s are loading high.

Thank you in advance Bojcha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:57 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Dear Bojcha,

Thank you
Thank you so much for the reply and knowledge sharing. I am confused in How to set ST’s to different Cores. Cause presently I see that all 4 Cores which are enabled in both ST’s are loading high.

Thank you in advance Bojcha
If they are high, then that cpu is super slow. i bet it's some old xeon. That's your problem. Now you need to be careful how you will use those 4 cores.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:50 am 

Correct me if i'm wrong, but keep one directory, just copy the stereotool.exe to stereotool2.exe and they have 2 différents ini file
Correct ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:57 pm 

I also have 3 running instances with different configs.
Instead of using folders and changing the USERPROFILE, can't I just copy different config files as stereo_tool.ini and run stereotool.exe from a .bat file?

It would be something like:
copy config1.ini stereo_tool.ini
.\stereotool.exe
copy config2.ini stereo_tool.ini
.\stereotool.exe

Actually I'm quite surprised to find out that I cant make a shortcut specifying some .ini config file, and then just launch it from registry or from the system:startup folder???