All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:18 am 
Site Admin

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Due to some personal circumstances I haven't been able to do anything this week - that includes listening for beeps. I'll take it up as soon as possible.

As an answer: 2 beeps in one song is possible, but it's very - VERY - unlikely - it's actually more likely to have an entire day without beeps. Well at least it should be. I'm using a C++ random function, maybe it's not really random (that could even be different on different systems...).

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:57 am 

No problem. Just thought you might have forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:09 am 
Site Admin

I've ran some longer tests (played a recording consisting of several hours of silence, opened the output in a wave file editor to see the beeps), and it took over 4 hours for the first beep to arrive... On average I'm getting slightly more than 1 beep per 2 hours (closer to one per 1.5 hours) though.

As it turns out, the rand() function in C++ in Microsoft Visual Studio does not (as in many other compilers) return a value below MAX_INT, but a value below 32768... And I was cutting it at 65536, meaning that indeed the number of beeps would be twice that of what I programmed - once per a bit more than an hour on average.

(In fact, this same bug was also present in my dithering function, I just fixed that too so hopefully the audio quality will also increase a bit).

This still doesn't explain why you were getting so many beeps - are you still getting these? There should be a beep about once per hour in the current version, the next one (just started a new build) should really beep once every 2 hours, on average.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:08 pm 

Yes, every now and then I get very close beeps, like for 2 songs in a row. But it is very random, although not the other way around, like 3 hours without a beep. Maybe there could be like a "safe harbor". Something like the "first beep can occur in any moment from the start, but the next beep not before 1 hour of playing".