All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Unstable mpx-link
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:22 pm 

I am testing Stereotool for a couple of weeks, but i cannot get it stable for the mpx-output.

In a local network (1Gbps switches) i put a transmitter and a receiver online. I made a mpx-output
but get a lot of drops in the audio. When i put the equipment in another network i have the same problem.
Also when streaming mpx over internet i get lost packets...

How do you get this stable? Has anybody a preset for example?
I use the latest version of ST.

Post subject: Re: Unstable mpx-link
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:41 pm 

You're talking about Stereo Tool and network/packets at the same time. Are you using µMPX or do you mean something else?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:26 pm 

I am using uMPX.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:55 am 

Somebody a solution for my problem?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

This is not something that you can fix with a preset. All I can say is, try enabling forward error correction. it sounds pretty extreme, so you could try something like span = 64, overhead = 16. Make sure (if you're using an older version) that the rate limiter is enabled (you can't turn it off anymore in the latest version).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:07 am 

As strange as this may sound, try forcing things down to 100meg/full duplex. (uMPX only needs 320k ish)
Had a similar issue at a transmitter site running HD radio where, for reasons no one can explain, the Cisco 2960 switch, running at gig speed, was doing something crazy to the packets between the exporter and the exgine in the transmitter. The fix was to change the exporter to 100/full in windows.

Trey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:34 am 

Quote:
As strange as this may sound, try forcing things down to 100meg/full duplex. (uMPX only needs 320k ish)
Had a similar issue at a transmitter site running HD radio where, for reasons no one can explain, the Cisco 2960 switch, running at gig speed, was doing something crazy to the packets between the exporter and the exgine in the transmitter. The fix was to change the exporter to 100/full in windows.

Trey
Never use CISCO stuff! They make prety much $hit stuff except some stuff from top tier which are unacceptable expensive. For example cheap TP-Link smart switch is always better bet, or even better, some HP switch.

And for uMPX, tested it long time ago over realible network, and it worked really bad. I don't know how things are now, but i think something is still misssing in area how packets and buffer will work. Even if i don't know is it really working as should, it is unnaceptable to have ANY problems with ANY settings over LAN and 2 decent PC's.
I am using one software for years to send PCM 48kHz over network, wich is around 1.6Mbits, and it works just fine, with 100ish ms latency. It can go to almost 60ms. I can hear how it corrects itself on the fly and have minimal impact on audio when it loses packets. It even goes over 2 WiFi links.

I will test it again soon, since after all problems i read and hear about it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:37 am 

Quote:
it is unnaceptable to have ANY problems with ANY settings over LAN and 2 decent PC's
Agreed! A lot of improvements were made since "a long time ago" though. I've got it running stable over a WiFi network to another building that's a few kilometers away.