All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 749 posts ]  Go to page Previous 169 70 71 72 7375 Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:23 pm 

woow!
Well .. this is fantastic! :D
FM output works better then ever. Now FM overdrive can be pushed safe to 107-108% and not to endanger pilot and rds.
FM overdrive at 107% gives "FM Audio Level" 95-96% (was 93%) and without RDS 101% :D
So we get better clipper now :)

I notice one more problem.
I never use both outputs in same time (normal and fm) but when normal output is enabled and then FM output is turned on, something happens with normal output. Sound is changed and not flat anymore.
Checked with 192kHz input. (standalone)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:22 pm 

Hans, working superb now!

Just a small request that has been bothering me a bit since the beginning.
The 'post amp' slider which is actually the output slider, well I don't think it going to +20dB is a good thing. A good processor like yours should only allow +3dB and even then (0dB even as a good processor should never go over that)

A small bug that I see is in the 'sound card config' a meter is going all over the text.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Bojcha, have you calibrated your sound card and found that you need to set all phase sliders to a similar value?
For precise tuning i can only set for tones from 0-500,600Hz .. till there i can see "squere tone" on scope...
for other (higher frequencies) i am not shure is this actually needed...
Lows are the most affected by this.
Well then a single value for all frequencies doesn't make sense... I'm going to remove this from my todo list for now - if you have any information about what a single tuning slider should do (probably depends on sound card, cables, transmitter etc.) please let me know, the current method is kinda tedious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:30 pm 

Quote:
Well then a single value for all frequencies doesn't make sense... I'm going to remove this from my todo list for now - if you have any information about what a single tuning slider should do (probably depends on sound card, cables, transmitter etc.) please let me know, the current method is kinda tedious.
No metter .. go with final realise :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:53 pm 

Hans another bug.

If you deselect 'encode stereo' the 19KHz is still present. If you untick RDS it is gone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I never use both outputs in same time (normal and fm) but when normal output is enabled and then FM output is turned on, something happens with normal output. Sound is changed and not flat anymore.
I've tried to reproduce this but it doesn't seem to happen here.

Can you describe what you hear? (Note: if you have multiple outputs playing on the same sound card, Windows might kick in to protect the sound against overshoots and dynamically drop the volume. To avoid that, at least set the FM output volume to 0 for a good comparison).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:01 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hans another bug.

If you deselect 'encode stereo' the 19KHz is still present. If you untick RDS it is gone.
Hi Luke,

That's no bug - RDS also requires the stereo pilot tone to be present! (It's also synchronized to that tone).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:05 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Hans another bug.

Hi Luke,

That's no bug - RDS also requires the stereo pilot tone to be present! (It's also synchronized to that tone).

Hi Hans, sorry but that is not true.

The 19KHz needs to be in sync when broadcasting in stereo to avoid phazing effects.
You do not need 19KHz when broadcasting in mono to have RDS otherwise you would undermine my 15 year old RDS codecs and the approx 40 stations still using it ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:12 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I've tried to reproduce this but it doesn't seem to happen here.

Can you describe what you hear? (Note: if you have multiple outputs playing on the same sound card, Windows might kick in to protect the sound against overshoots and dynamically drop the volume. To avoid that, at least set the FM output volume to 0 for a good comparison).
Normal output is not same when you turn on FM output and Stereo. When i just turn off stereo normal output is good.

Last edited by Bojcha on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hans another bug.

Hi Luke,

Hi Hans, sorry but that is not true.

The 19KHz needs to be in sync when broadcasting in stereo to avoid phazing effects.
You do not need 19KHz when broadcasting in mono to have RDS otherwise you would undermine my 15 year old RDS codecs and the approx 40 stations still using it ;-)
Ok, I just checked the official RDS spec and it does indeed mention (not very explicitly) something about mono broadcasts where the RDS frequency must be 57 kHz +/- 6 Hz - nothing about the pilot tone there (for stereo, it's specifically added that it must be locked to exactly 3 * the stereo pilot frequency).

So I'll fix it.

Edit: Fixed!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 749 posts ]  Go to page Previous 169 70 71 72 7375 Next