All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: [NO] unicode support
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:12 am 

I wish if stereo tools support unicode encoding especially for RDS (if possible)

Post subject: Re: unicode support
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:14 am 
Site Admin

Hemo,

The RDS standard was created in 1984, and only supports 8-bit ASCII codes. On top of that, many radios can only display the characters A-Z (capitals only!!!), 0-9, and a few special characters such as -, /, *, <, >. Even '.' (dot), ',' (comma), '?', '!' etc. are not displayed...

This doesn't mean that there are no special characters that _can_ be transmitted with RDS. Stereo Tool currently only shows the Windows characters, which are different from what the RDS receiver will display.

It might be useful to fix that, but please be aware that most radios will display a space instead.

If there's a specific character that you need, just let me know and I'll look up the ASCII code (and hence the Windows equivalent), to solve things for now. If you need something more complex, such as reading in Unicode files from disk, it will be (a bit) more complex - and still, only 256 different characters can be transmitted...

[note: I have a list of RDS ASCII symbols, unfortunately it contains a statement that forbids reproducing it... That's why I cannot post it here.]