All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:33 am 

I am using your product for my internet station and I am loving the great FM radio presets and possibilities. One thing I would like is to see Stereo Tool as a VST plugin so I can automatically make my WAV files into new WAV files that are already processed with Stereo Tool.

Hope to see this some day soon.

Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool as VST
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

I know... I want to create a VST plugin, but I need to find some time to find out how to do that.

For now, if you just want to process .WAV files, you can use the command line version. It reads a .WAV file and writes processed output to another .WAV file. Data must be 16 bit stereo not compressed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:26 pm 

Thank you... I wish I could help with creating a VST plugin but that's not my strength either :(

Thank you for the tip about using the command-line version. I will do that and maybe an easier approach instead of a VST plugin would be to just create a GUI for the command-line version. It could write to WAV like it does now and then people can do their own conversions to other formats with other tools if they need.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

Ok... I've taken a quick look, and there are 2 standards: VST 2, which is old, and VST 3, which is new (released around January this year). VST 2 seems to be very close to the Winamp plugin standard, so it looks like creating a VST 2 plugin shouldn't be too difficult. I suppose applications won't stop supporting those within the next few years... I will take a look at it when I have some time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:54 pm 

Thank you so much I look forward to seeing the result. I think VST 2 would be a better place to start because, yes it's easier, but also because as of now more third-party apps support it rather than VST 3 which is still so new.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Attempt #1:

http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_stereo_tool.dll

Please let me know if it works. I have briefly tested it with a few free VST tools, and with a Winamp VST plugin bridge (lets you use VST plugins in Winamp). The VST bridge version sometimes crashes when unloading the plugin while music is playing... So be careful with doing that. (I'll look into that later).

Also, parameters are not supported for VST host applications. You can only edit them as in Winamp and save them as in Winamp, the VST host application cannot (yet!) access them.
Edit 2008-08-18: Some parameters are now available. Please don't rely on them yet, their IDs might still change.

[Note: This is a VST plugin dll file without installer. Please save it to your VST plugin directory, or select it manually from where you saved it if your VST host application allows doing so.]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:44 am 
Site Admin

Another day, another update:

- Crash on close resolved.
- A lot more parameters are supported for use in VST automation (actually everything except the FM/RDS settings). 79% is now available, still 21% to go... (Some numbers might still change, so don't spend a lot of time automating things just yet).

People, I really need some feedback on this thing. Is it working? There are hundreds of VST-hosts out there, and I cannot test them all! (Note: You need an SSE2-capable PC right now. When I'm finished I'll also include a non-SSE2 version).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 am 

Hello Hans, i have try your vst version of stereo tool , with asio fx le , and i haven't problem with stereo tool v3.27, run fine on my pentium dual core and windows xp sp3 ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:41 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Garfield!

And here's another update:
- All parameters are now accessible to the VST host (except for the text parameters)
- When editing in the Stereo Tool GUI, the parameters are also sent to the VST host which can save them, use it for automation etc.