All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:38 am 

Listening to a couple of my monaural tracks (yes, some things are mastered in monaural, albeit rarely), I have determined that I would like a feature like the following...

Stereo tool would determine, even though the source is "stereo", whether or not it is mono - and if it is mono, it will "gate" on the stereo delay accordingly to have a "fake stereo" effect. How could you implement it?

You could set a buffer control to analyze "less than or equal to" "X" stereo difference (set by the user) over "Y" time (set by the user) would enable "Z" stereo delay. Then, the disable time would simply be the opposite of that.

Variable example:
IF Stereo offset < X degrees (in the source) is considered mono
AND Stereo time offset > Y seconds (separation of X degrees or less -- means the whole track is likely mono)
THEN turn ON the stereo delay with "Z msec" between tracks - the source was determined to be mono!
While "fake stereoed"
IF Stereo offset > X degrees
AND Stereo time offset > Y seconds (separation of X degrees or more -- means the whole track is likely stereo)
THEN turn OFF the stereo delay - the source is already stereo!

Numerical example:
IF Stereo offset < 10 degrees (in the source) is considered mono
AND Stereo time offset > 3 seconds (separation of 10 degrees or less -- means the whole track is likely mono)
THEN turn ON the stereo delay with "1 msec" between tracks - the source was determined to be mono!
While "fake stereoed"
IF Stereo offset > 10 degrees
AND Stereo time offset > 3 seconds (separation of 10 degrees or more -- means the whole track is likely stereo)
THEN turn OFF the stereo delay - the source is already stereo!

What do you think? This would handle mono and stereo content - without adding channel delay to stereo content!