All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Bass Boost Filter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:47 pm 

Here are some proposals for the bass boost filter:

Boost Strength: adjust it in dB, is more understandable to adjust.

Maximun Boost:
- It would be good to change the second slider ("Then dropping to no boost at"), For outstanding values ​​in octave / dB (6, 12, 18, Oct. 24 / dB)

Allow Harmonics:
- Same as above for the second slider.
- Add a control to adjust the amount of harmonic level before the mix.
- Add a Phase Shift (0-90 °) to the harmonic mix before, this does change the shape of the bass giving more effect.
- To choose a cut of the fundamental frequencies, instead of that value is from 0, never to add the key.

Indicators: Consultation, because brown bars increase by lowering the peak Maximun level (to very low values​​) when I understand it should happen otherwise.

Well that's all I can think of for now ... :roll:

Post subject: Re: Bass Boost Filter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:52 am 

:?:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:33 pm 

any comments? :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:54 am 
Site Admin

gpagliaroli: I'm reading all of it, but right now I'm planning a *huge* GUI change which should make things a lot easier to understand.

One thing though: If you lower the maximum level, it means that the scale that the display shows changes as well. What you should look at is the difference between the light and dark brown bars. Which is a bit difficult to see sometimes, in the new GUI the display will show DB's which will also clarify a lot here.

Note sure about this 90 degrees shift, what's the idea there? (Something similar to the non-phase linear highpass filter? If so, I *think* that that has more effect. Basically the lowest part of the bass is delayed a bit, to a place where usually there's more room for it).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:23 pm 

Quote:
gpagliaroli: I'm reading all of it, but right now I'm planning a *huge* GUI change which should make things a lot easier to understand.
ok, I understand, we hope the new interface! ;)
Quote:
One thing though: If you lower the maximum level, it means that the scale that the display shows changes as well. What you should look at is the difference between the light and dark brown bars. Which is a bit difficult to see sometimes, in the new GUI the display will show DB's which will also clarify a lot here.
would be nice that everything is referenced to dB, is good news.
Quote:
Note sure about this 90 degrees shift, what's the idea there? (Something similar to the non-phase linear highpass filter? If so, I *think* that that has more effect. Basically the lowest part of the bass is delayed a bit, to a place where usually there's more room for it)
the idea is orignal mix the signal with the same phase offset some, that causes the resulting signal change some shape and this gives an interesting effect of the bass. I've seen in any paper, when you find it put it on the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:49 am 

Maximum boost from 0 to x

change to

Maximum boost from [Highpass frequency] to x

If bandpass is disabled, then it remains 0.

If bandpass is enabled, it uses the bottom number.

Rationale for request: Reduction of sub-sonic boosting and reduction of boosting below the frequency of the HPF, due to the HPF not being steep enough, so boosting after a shallower HPF ends up adding in bass that is likely going to be distorted or artifacts.