All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:11 pm 

Hi,

It occurred to me more than once that while scrolling using the mouse-wheel, that slider values were changed by accident. I know that there is a scroll-bar on the right-hand side, but it is extremely tiny/narrow, so not very useful.
Would it be helpful to protect sliders from accidental changes by requiring to press <SHIFT> (or some other key) together with the mouse-wheel in order to deliberately change their setting?

THX

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:18 pm 

It used to require a middle click to select the sliders, but there were enough complaints that it wasn't smooth enough of an experience that it was changed. Now, resting the mouse a half a second (I think) on a slider switches from scroll mode to slider mode. Does this resting time need to be lengthened or something?

SHIFT and scrolling moves the slider a larger amount than normal, while CTRL and scrolling moves the slider a smaller amount.

I think it would be extremely handy to have a number of levels to undo with CTRL+Z in case this happens on accident.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:33 pm 

I really think that a resting time (whatever time) is not an intuitive protection mechanism. While scrolling, one may pause for a brief moment to read something and if by accident the cursor had landed on a slider, meanwhile it would be changed to slider-mode, while the user is focussed on whatever he is reading and not bothering whether or not the scroll-to-slider time has expired.
Maybe page scrolling could be limited to a dedicated safe screen area or the column where the scroll-bar resides, for which it would be required to be able to make it a bit wider than it is right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:03 pm 

Tom, the GUI developer, said
Quote:
I initially made it so that sliders first had to be "activated" (by clicking it with any mouse button) but people were complaining about that being too hard. So now, they can only be scrolled when you've been finished scrolling for a short while and the mouse has been moved some distance.
Then he realized the movement check was actually disabled. So it's being reintroduced to be dialed in for the next few betas. Keep an eye on the 10.31 beta thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:27 pm 

Great, thx!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:46 pm 

The latest 10.31 beta (004) has a fix in it. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=34069 Does this work for you?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:47 pm 

Looks like the sliders now become active only after deliberately pointing (moving cursor) at them and after a short resting period.
For me it works just fine right now, thx!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 2:54 pm 

Quote:
[It was] initially made it so that sliders first had to be "activated" (by clicking it with any mouse button) but people were complaining about that being too hard. So now, they can only be scrolled when you've been finished scrolling for a short while and the mouse has been moved some distance.
Got a clarification on the movement distance required to change, in case anybody else comes across this.
Quote:
It's about 5 pixels (square root of 20 to be precise) but compensated for dpi!