All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:22 am 

1.) Adding AGGRESSIVE UNPROCESSING like the Omnia.9 has would eliminate some of the audible mastering differences between then and now, such as the increased amount of compression used on music now vs. then, and would allow for more consistent dynamics between older and newer music.

2. CREATING A C-LEVEL LIKE AGC I feel would very nicely compliment the addition of AGGRESSIVE UNPROCESSING if that is added. And would be magical in combination with the new compressor, just based off of the things I’ve been told. :) A regular AGC tends to be way too noticeable, (I’ve heard many engineers here in the US complain about this, myself included) which, if you want the most dynamics in your audio, is not a very good thing. Creating a C-Level like AGC would allow music to stay consistent without being heard.

I think this would all go very nicely with the new compressor design!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:11 am 

O.9 Undo is kinda same concept as Declipper and ND in ST.
To me that undo knows to sound "fake", (not declipper part - that is same) ND in ST is kinda better in that aspect, but ND has huge problem, it does not have WB dynamic detection and you cannot properly 'push it'.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:45 am 

Quote:
O.9 Undo is kinda same concept as Declipper and ND in ST.
To me that undo knows to sound "fake", (not declipper part - that is same) ND in ST is kinda better in that aspect, but ND has huge problem, it does not have WB dynamic detection and you cannot properly 'push it'.
Maybe we’ll see Natural Dynamics get redone with wideband dynamic detection once the new compressor is finished…. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:58 pm 

I agree with the assessment that the MB Expander in Undo sounds 'plastic' or 'fake' by comparison to ND. But the lookahead dynamics detector seems a little better. I frankly don't know well enough to say.

I've had the best luck raising the maximum boost for highs and lowering it for lows in Undo. Without this adjustment, the kicks in metal sound like the drum is made of plastic. But my experience in it is very limited.

I love Leif and his processing, but this is a circumstance where Hans' algorithms seem to be a little better. Audio processing is fantastic for its competition and devs pushing each other to make better algorithms. Always looking forward to the new stuff from my favorite software engineers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:58 pm 

Quote:
1.) Adding AGGRESSIVE UNPROCESSING like the Omnia.9 has would eliminate some of the audible mastering differences between then and now, such as the increased amount of compression used on music now vs. then, and would allow for more consistent dynamics between older and newer music.

2. CREATING A C-LEVEL LIKE AGC I feel would very nicely compliment the addition of AGGRESSIVE UNPROCESSING if that is added. And would be magical in combination with the new compressor, just based off of the things I’ve been told. :) A regular AGC tends to be way too noticeable, (I’ve heard many engineers here in the US complain about this, myself included) which, if you want the most dynamics in your audio, is not a very good thing. Creating a C-Level like AGC would allow music to stay consistent without being heard.

I think this would all go very nicely with the new compressor design!
FORGOT TO MENTION: Would also love to see auto Stereo pilot in ST. Some stations around me use it in their 9’s and 11’s and it really clears up the hiss on mono content. I could see this being useful for LPFMs who don’t have great coverage, or Part 15 FMs like I have. I know for a fact if this feature was added, I would be immediately enable it in my ST. I run weather forecasts and the hiss under it can be quite annoying at times.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:50 am 

One more thing I forgot to add- I also think their should be a master CPU slider that controls every CPU slider in the system for those who have a system capable of handling that type of CPU load for the maximum possible audio quality on everything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:16 am 

Adding here that I've noticed Orbans have an interesting FM Lowpass filter style that allows more audio in the highs without running into the pilot or the RDS. I don't know how it would be done, but this could be something to look into as well. Could make Stereo Tool even more powerful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:39 am 

Quote:
Adding here that I've noticed Orbans have an interesting FM Lowpass filter style that allows more audio in the highs without running into the pilot or the RDS. I don't know how it would be done, but this could be something to look into as well. Could make Stereo Tool even more powerful.
For example….

Attachments:
Untitled design.jpeg
Untitled design.jpeg [ 26.6 KiB | Viewed 4566 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:32 am 

I don't see how this thing that orban does, helps audio much. In fact it might create problems on some receivers due to the noise around pilot. HVZ should be able to give us an answer.

Ps i've seen this behavior locally with 2 radio stations using orbans. If you check the spectrum of the demod audio you will see that it doesn't get loud audio over 16khz. You can do much better with ST by setting your lowpass filter to more than 16khz which you should know that it might affect your RDS.

If you ask me i would prefer omnia's (telos) approach, they slightly widen the spectrum as it gets closer to the filter's limits and it looks much nicer. Stereo tool is kinda cutting the spectrum heavily but this might be also better for the vast majority of receivers.

Again i would love HVZ to give us a good "food for thought" on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:12 pm 

Quote:
I don't see how this thing that orban does, helps audio much. In fact it might create problems on some receivers due to the noise around pilot. HVZ should be able to give us an answer.

Ps i've seen this behavior locally with 2 radio stations using orbans. If you check the spectrum of the demod audio you will see that it doesn't get loud audio over 16khz. You can do much better with ST by setting your lowpass filter to more than 16khz which you should know that it might affect your RDS.

If you ask me i would prefer omnia's (telos) approach, they slightly widen the spectrum as it gets closer to the filter's limits and it looks much nicer. Stereo tool is kinda cutting the spectrum heavily but this might be also better for the vast majority of receivers.

Again i would love HVZ to give us a good "food for thought" on this one.
Same here. I wonder if like Single Sideband Stereo, we will get options for the type of low pass filter style we want. Example: Current ST LPF design, Telos LPF approach, and Orban LPF approach.