All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 pm 

The AGC in StereoTool is not yet satisfactory enough from my personal experience, despite the time Hans has already invested here. By chance I came across an old classic - Arian Encore Audio Leveler. I heard the sound, and I also understand why this "cult" device is still in use. The sound is already really good, and also the adjustment via the 4 AGC bands sounds much better than the AGC integrated in the StereoTool. Something seems to make them better or different. In any case the result is impressive. Could some things or properties of the Arian Encore Audio Leveler be transferred to StereoTool? It would benefit enormously. The AGC is getting better and better, but I don't think it can compete with these levelers yet.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:53 pm 

Could you share a before & after recording? I'm curious to hear it.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:30 pm 

I'm sorry, I can't provide an example. :( But let's just say that the volume balance does take place, but you hardly notice it. Everything seems rounder in the overall picture and the adjustments made by the system are hardly or not at all noticeable. Very impressive.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:00 pm 

Ah. Without an example we'll not be able to do much... If you ever have one let me know.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:51 pm 

Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't provide an example. :( But let's just say that the volume balance does take place, but you hardly notice it. Everything seems rounder in the overall picture and the adjustments made by the system are hardly or not at all noticeable. Very impressive.
It might be impressive to you, and for some examples, but we all differently hear things, sometimes very differently, also we all have very different taste, and at the end, expetations.
I also want to hear/test that Ariane for long time, but i didnt have chance for that, and see what the heck is that all about. If you or anyone else is willing to play few files which i always have prepared, let me know.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:52 am 

From hear say, the Ariane and the Ariane Sequel levelers have "perfect" software. So you can throw anything in it, but it will not fail as leveler. I don't know if this "Encore" is the same thing but i guess it is.

With every update i'm testing the AGC again but in the end i always switch it back off and go to my external Aphex Compellor 320A for the AGC part of processing. I've found that when Stereotool gets a consistent input before AGC, i can get a much more consistent sound out of Stereotool and the Compellor seems to do a better job at that.

So for me, and that's maybe also a matter of taste, i prefer the Compellor.

Aren't there any Youtube video's about an Ariane leveler?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:22 pm 

Quote:
Aren't there any Youtube video's about an Ariane leveler?
Plenty, but I couldn't find a single one that does a before/after comparison without any other device in the chain. Plus to properly hear what it's doing you would need to hear some specific songs that really torture the AGC.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:04 pm 

Quote:
Plenty, but I couldn't find a single one that does a before/after comparison without any other device in the chain. Plus to properly hear what it's doing you would need to hear some specific songs that really torture the AGC.
Could you list some songs you folks use as stress tests? I know somebody who might be able to prepare Sequel samples (if I'm lucky enough).

edit: I forgot there's sort of a global pandemic at the moment, so nobody can go into the studio to test for a while. Still curious about the songs though.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:42 pm 

The first one that comes to my mind is "if you don't know me by now" by Simply Red. The snare drum on this song is a nightmare for many AGCs.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:46 pm 

Some interesting ones off the top of my head:
Billie Eilish - No time to die
P!nk - Walk me home
UB40 - Kingston town and Sing our own song