All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Slow preset transition
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:12 am 

Now here's a kicker.

A function that would slowly, over time, adjust parameters between presets, switching them.

Doable at all?

Obviously there would have to be severe limitations (bands for example, everything togglable).
But for presets that are "variants" to each other, which differ only by numbers in thresholds, gains, and what not...?

Perhaps somewhere around version 15??? :)

Niv

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 6:25 pm 

+1

I've been wanting an A/B preset mechanism with a fader that can go between the two presets, or fade to no processing at all. This all seems like it would be doable if a transition mechanism was developed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah.. would be very useful but I don't know how to do it. Most presets can't be easily switched because of toggles indeed; if we need to run 2 presets simultaneously, at the very least we would also need twice the CPU and memory.
I was thinking about something else that's more limited in scope: What if we allow to run 2 MB's simultaneously this way and combine them. The idea came up because I've heard several presets that each had their benefits and drawbacks, and I figured that if we could average them, it might solve all of those.

And give you the opportunity to at least compare 2 MB's.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:40 am 

really..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:11 am 

Quote:
Yeah.. would be very useful but I don't know how to do it. Most presets can't be easily switched because of toggles indeed; if we need to run 2 presets simultaneously, at the very least we would also need twice the CPU and memory.
I was thinking about something else that's more limited in scope: What if we allow to run 2 MB's simultaneously this way and combine them. The idea came up because I've heard several presets that each had their benefits and drawbacks, and I figured that if we could average them, it might solve all of those.

And give you the opportunity to at least compare 2 MB's.
They way I saw it the first time, was sort of a child-parent situation that would need to be pre-defined in the ST, that would simplify the process. So not switch to ANY preset, but lets imagine every preset has "Create variant/child" button.
The user enters the state in which they can name it, and then UI highlights what can be adjusted. Somewhere in the preset and program, ST would know those two are linked.
And then when those two are complete, and linked, there is a button, with a timer, that could be for example scheduled for an hour. ST switches values over time (GUI could indicate the process is active), and then it's just simple numbers modification on real-time playing instance by the switch algorithm. After the transition is complete, the preset name changes as required, or is being loaded once again fully for confirmation (the one we were transitioning to).

This is obnoxious amount of work though, and there are probably easier ways to do it. But it would guarantee a control over what can be changed I think, for testing and everything else.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:44 am 
Site Admin

BETA045 can now run 2 multibands in parallel, with the possibility to switch between the two. More info here: https://www.thimeo.com/blog/beta-testin ... mpression/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:19 pm 

OOOOOOOOhhhhh this is interesting!