All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:00 am 

Launch Ableton Live, new empty session;
add Stereo Tool to master;
click the "show window" checkbox;

endless beachball, have to force-quit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:03 am 

re-install Stereo Tool 7.60, and it then works.

No newer version of Stereo Tool has ever worked.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:29 am 
Site Admin

There was a problem with the El Capitan OS release and the wxWidgets library that I'm currently using (and I'm going to phase that out as soon as possible, I'm hearing from more people that programs that use wxWidgets are unstable and frequently crash).

For now, you might try this new 7.83 beta version that uses the latest wxWidgets version:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7161

If you try it, please let me know if it works. It does at least for the person who posted the question in the forum that I'm linking to...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:58 am 

First off, I'm not using El Capitan, still on Yosemite 10.10.5 on this particular machine (4.0gHz 27-inch iMac with 32gb RAM)

The new 7.83 beta pretty much works, though with much of the GUI weirdness we've discussed before. I have to turn Stereo Tool's "display refresh speed (CPU load)" down to pretty much zero to get glitch-free audio output. Oddly, moving the mouse pointer around over the Stereo Tool window still allows all the metering to display correctly, I just have to keep doing that or the whole Stereo Tool display stops refreshing. Same was true in 7.60 and earlier versions. I don't hear any audio glitches when using the "move the mouse pointer over the Stereo Tool window" workaround to see active metering. I can also crank up various processing settings that apparently demand more CPU without hearing any ill effects.

Also worth a note, unlike the case with Stereo Tool 7.60, I can now quit out of Ableton Live in a session with Stereo Tool without experiencing the crash that was 100% repeatable before.

So, progress.

The GUI is still very flaky compared to what I'm used to seeing with Mac software, and I sure hope dumping the wxWidgets gives better results.

Clicking the "help" button in Stereo Tool instantly kills Ableton Live (repeatable), don't even see the usual "unexpected quit" dialog one normally sees when a Mac OS app crashes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Since the only thing I changed in the GUI is updating to the latest wxWidgets version, this seems to confirm that the crashes before were caused by a bug in wxWidgets. Yet another reason to drop it asap!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:06 am 

Looks like Ableton Live still crashes whenever attempting to close a previously-created session including Stereo Tool.

It's less likely to crash on quit if I've just created a new session that includes Stereo Tool.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:23 pm 

Got the same problem with crash on quit with Reaper (Version 5.1) as VST Host on Mac OS X 10.11.1.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:13 am 

Workaround I found for the Ableton Live "crash on quit when running a session with Stereo Tool":

Instead of quitting, either select "New Live Set" or open a session that does not include Stereo Tool.

Seems to work either way, and in Ableton Live it avoids the sometimes annoying delay when next launching Live after a crash as it generates a crash report.

Maybe doing similar would also help in other apps hosting the Mac version of Stereo Tool...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:53 am 

Very pleased to see that Stereo Tool 8.0 seems to have fixed the issues on the Mac version. The difference in operability of the GUI was noticeable a few milliseconds after I launched the plug-in.

Many many (!) thanks for making this happen, it will be so nice to make full use of my favorite "mastering secret weapon" without jumping through crazy hoops/GUI drama/crashes...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:59 am 

I just tried clicking "help" (which before 8.0 would immediately kill both Stereo Tool and Ableton Live without even producing the normal Mac OS "unexpected quit" dialog), and it brings up a "404 Not Found" web page.

The URL the "help" is trying to access seems to be http://help.stereotool.com/8.00/?1467248256