All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:52 pm 

I'm running 7.4 and using the MT Alpha card. There's a squeal there at (I'm guessing) about 3khz. So far, no one else here has heard it. Not being able to monitor off air in real time is probably why it has gone unnoticed. I see on the Facebook Broadcast Audio Processing page that Bob Hawkins is hearing it in his setup. Any ideas on this and its cause. The squeal will have to go.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Phil

please note that Bob is using a "special" version to test this Marian driver issue. So it might be a bug in that version (I never tested it).

First question would be: what happens if you turn ST off? Just to make sure that it's not something in the card. Also, do you still hear it if you put your receiver to mono? It could be at 35 or 41 kHz and get mapped to 3 by the strreo decoder.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:58 pm 

Also is it there when you turn off RDS?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:56 pm 

I should have time to test this more thoroughly tomorrow. Today has been taken up with satellite receiver issues for the TV stations here in the building.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:40 pm 

The version where I heard the squeal was (as Hans noted) a test version which had a squeal so loud that it was listenable (the goal was simply to confirm or deny that the version was stable). The squeal doesn't exist on any other version I have tried. If this is on the air where you hear the squeal, are you using a Harris Digit Exciter? And if so, does turning the Stereo Pilot off cause it to go away? If so, there's a Harris Service Bulletin on correcting that issue. I went through this and was ready to blame the Omnia 6 until I put an Orban 2200 on to send off the O6 and the squeal was still there. If it isn't a Harris Digit, plug headphones into the Marian TA output jack. Do you hear the squeal there?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:56 pm 

Sorry for the delayed reply...

Interesting about the exciter as I'm using a Digit.. I'll listen for the squeal at the sound card first.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:12 pm 

I thought they changed that exciter name to Ditch it! Don't even think about using the aes input.Really dislike that box, can you tell? lol

BE FX 50 is so much better than Harris junk....BE has increased the wattage on the new FXE to 500w, getting certified for lpfm .street price $ 4800.00. vs about same price for Nautel vs 300 watt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:03 am 

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed reply...

Interesting about the exciter as I'm using a Digit.. I'll listen for the squeal at the sound card first.
Just shut the Stereo Tool pilot off and if the tone goes away, it's almost certainly the Digit. Some caps dry up and an ultrasonic oscillation happens that beats with the pilot creating the audible tone. Seems they'll send you a few caps to replace and a cover with some ventilation holes to keep it from happening again. I want to say there's no charge for it and from memory, it took 45 minutes to install. At least in my case, that fixed it. Let us know what you find.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:43 pm 

FINALLY I remembered to test this. Sure enough, when I turn the stereo off, the squeal goes away. Time to talk to Harris...

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

Before you do that: I just realized something. If you're using ASIO, stop reading here. If not, please check that the frequency in the driver settings is equal to that in ST.