All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:06 pm 

We have an unreliable (but relatively high bandwidth) public internet link between studio and transmitter. Internet connection often drops for seconds, sometimes for minutes.

Normally uMPX decoder just recovers and starts audio again soon after internet comes back. But sometimes it does not recover and just broadcasts silence (and pilot I think) despite there being a good internet connection. The fix is to switch the uMPX stream off and on again on the uMPX encoder.

Any chance of a fix for this? I "KNOW" the proper fix is to get a proper internet connection - but this is brexit britain, please take pity on us!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:01 am 

Quote:
We have an unreliable (but relatively high bandwidth) public internet link between studio and transmitter. Internet connection often drops for seconds, sometimes for minutes.

Normally uMPX decoder just recovers and starts audio again soon after internet comes back. But sometimes it does not recover and just broadcasts silence (and pilot I think) despite there being a good internet connection. The fix is to switch the uMPX stream off and on again on the uMPX encoder.

Any chance of a fix for this? I "KNOW" the proper fix is to get a proper internet connection - but this is brexit britain, please take pity on us!
How sure are you that this is actually an ST / uMPX issue? Isn't it simply a UDP datastream that is being sent? Does your public IP address change after a drop or is it static?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:40 pm 

Sorry - the forum did not alert me to your reply. We have static IP's at all sites, so it is not an issue of IP addresses changing. The Decoder just sits there transmitting a silent MPX signal with pilot. The fix is to switch uMPX streaming at *encoder" off and on again (or close and reopen ST encoder)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:38 pm 

i dont use uMPX but for sure link need to recover when connection comes back, it's kinda basic thing for those stuff. And i belive you, last time i was testing umpx it was so bad, even in LAN. Probably got better since then, but apparently not fully.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

We have heard from one customer (at least I assume that it wasn't you) that this happened on an unstable connection. If I recall correctly it happened twice there, over a period of a few months, and hasn't happened since.

We're not sure what's happening. We think that a router in between decides to throw away packets, because it thinks that the other end is no longer reachable.

This is extremely rare, by now we have many customers who have been running MicroMPX for years without the stream stopping. Several stations stream their MicroMPX streams to us so we can use them for testing, some from different continents, and they have been running for more than a year - and our network has been down quite a few times in that period. Which is good (it means that it's generally very stable), but it makes it hard to investigate what's happening.

If closing and reopening the encoder in ST fixes it, then I guess we could add a setting to close and reopen the connection regularly. As long as that happens fast enough, the decoder won't even notice it, but routers will hopefully get some packet that tells them to reopen the connection if it's gone. Reopening things all the time is something that we usually try to prevent (it might use memory, and do things in Windows/Linux that affect long-term stability). But you don't have stability as it is, so it might help.

Does this still happen? Because if so, when we add this, you could test if it helps. (Until now we had no customers where it happened more than twice in a very long period of time).