All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:18 am 

Hi,

I experience a very ugly sounding stream when I enable the following settings:
Under Streaming Output the 'Normal/Stream signal' is set to 'De-emphasized version of FM output' and 'Encode Stereo' is turned on.
It sounds like a very low-bitrate compressed MP3. When I disable Encode Stereo in FM settings, this problem is gone.

Is Stereo Tool trying to send the high-frequency MPX signal through the OGG/MP3 stream? I don't hear much of a difference when RDS is toggled.

Thanks a lot,
Gabriel

Edit: This was due to the Limit CPU setting that was transferred wrongly to the new version. Now I've set it to Limitless, Follow Preset and it works fine again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:56 am 

Thanks for this post. Perhaps the issue I just experienced is also related to this. After upgrading from 9.40 to 9.50 (Winamp DSP plugin) the FM output sounded very poor, much like you described but with a "chh..chh..chh.." sound along with the audio. I've never had a bad experience before when upgrading ST and had just tested 9.50 in our test environment without this issue. I ended up downgrading back to 9.40 and the audio sounded normal again.

I too discovered the CPU usage setting seemed to correct the issue, but not completely. I will try upgrading again, set the CPU to Limitless and see if that works in a second attempt.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Found it. Under Composite clipper, there are 2 settings: "Also lows" and "Also highs". Meaning that they also are composite clipped. (Which is actually not really that useful). Anyway, if you enable Also lows but *not* Also highs, which makes even less sense, it breaks. And, Also highs is turned off in lower CPU settings, Also lows was not.

I am changing the behavior now, such that Also lows automatically also does Also highs, and lower CPU modes turn both off.