All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: umPX Temperature warning
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:58 pm 

Dear audiofreaks and stereotool crew,

For a while we are using uMPX to feed three FM transmitters on different sites, and we are very happy with the quality. We are debugging some issues we have and while I was doing that I saw the notification that I have attached to this thread. It states the the temperature of the Raspberry is running too high.

It is very strange to see, as we are running Pi 3B+ types at all our transmitters. This one has the lowest CPU temperature when we check it via Linux. How must we interpret this, is something wrong with this Pi? Can you maybe tell when this warning is raised?

Kind regards,
Klaas-Jan

Attachments:
umpx temp throttle.jpg
umpx temp throttle.jpg [ 86.3 KiB | Viewed 3459 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:00 am 

µMPX doesn't decide whether or not the CPU is throttled, this is a decision made by the OS (I'm guessing you're running Raspbian). You would see the same thing when running the command
Code:
vcgencmd get_throttled
in the terminal. You seem to have hit the "soft" limit (at 60 degrees C) which does not do as much throttling as the "hard" limit (85). If you don't see this on your other pi's, they must be cooler than this one or are running an older Raspbian version which does not have the same throttling thresholds or are not 3B+ models but 3B's.

See this link for more info: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... agement.md

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:38 am 

Quote:
Running it on a laptop I noticed uMPX used a LOT more processor when maximised than when minimised into the tray. 80% vs 5 or 10%. Maybe its the same for RPi's?
µMPX itself or the browser?