All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:41 am 

I was listening to my stream this morning on a mono speaker and heard terrible phase issues on Prince's "When Doves Cry." I assumed my file must have been damaged, but when I checked it summed perfectly to a bright crisp mono.

I ran the file back through Stereo Tool and the problem returned. I looked at the Azimuth correction and could see it thought the azimuth was way off and it was doing significant "correction," resulting in a very muddy sound. I was able to A/B the azimuth correction on and off and hear it go from muddy to clear and back again.

I process my files with Stereo Tool before putting on the air, so I don't yet know if it is a matter of using the azimuth correction on the file and then running the corrected file through the azimuth correction again but I will test this tonight.

I'd never been aware of this before, but it's very concerning to me as many listeners are using the mono speaker on their phones to listen. I assumed the azimuth setting was always helping but now I am suspecting it may be causing damage at times, too.

Do you recommend only using the setting to preprocess files that are obviously damaged, and A/Bing every file to see if it improves or worsens phase issues?

I'll report back on the raw CD rip later tonight.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:57 am 

CONFIRMED: raw track ripped from "Ultimate Prince" disc 1 2006 Warner Bros Records sends the azimuth corrector off the deep end, creating a muffled and out of phase mono signal.

I've attached a file showing how far the azimuth is moving the line, and that I am using the default settings.

Attachments:
azimuth.png
azimuth.png [ 17.06 KiB | Viewed 3691 times ]

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA