All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:55 pm 

This might be less of a bug and more of a shortcoming of the Declipper restoration algorithm. When not forcing restored samples to be higher than the original samples, it is possible that the presign of a declipped sample changes. It is possible that this applies only to one channel for a transient, drastically altering where the sound is located.

Forcing restored samples to be higher than original samples is not a good solution, as the restoration result in that case is generally much worse.

Please see the example screenshot of a snare drum hit in which the left channel has presign changes for some samples, while the right channel has not. As a result, the sound is heavily shifted to the right channel. I can provide the Declipper settings and audio file if it helps addressing this issue.
https://i.gyazo.com/5803b22f6edba99a977 ... ef6ab5.png

Attachments:
declip presign.sts [1.64 KiB]
Downloaded 279 times

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

There are 2 things here:
1. The fact that the sign changes. I don't like it, but indeed forcing it not to change sounds less good, which leads to:
2. The fact that the 2 channels vary way too much. If left and right are pretty similar, they still should be after declipping. This is on the todo list... somewhere :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:16 pm 

Quote:
1. The fact that the sign changes. I don't like it, but indeed forcing it not to change sounds less good, which leads to:
It looks like, at least for this specific sample, the other bug with "Input can be compressed" led to bad detection and the presign change. If I work around that bug, detection and restoration are much better.
Quote:
2. The fact that the 2 channels vary way too much. If left and right are pretty similar, they still should be after declipping. This is on the todo list... somewhere :(
That would be a quite nice feature. Strongly varying output peaks can be quite the issue on some tracks. You can work around it with a compressor after declipping, but ideally the Declipper would take care of that itself. I wish I could be of help...