All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:54 am 

Hello!

I am having a strange problem the last 4 days, and it took me a couple of days to track it down. I used MP3 GAIN on my mp3's (this may have nothing to do with the problem) anyway...Winamp would NOT play and not show activity, although Stereotool was working. Finally I was checking everything and realized that if I changed the default setting of the Latency, to 1024, Winamp would start working again. From there I could change the latency as I liked.

By the way Hans, when are you going to make the new latency and the bass to save?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:23 am 

Hi, celestemaxwell
Please try new beta and report.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1798&start=0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:25 pm 

WELL, I'm still having the same problem with Latency, but it's not critical. The other settings are now saveable.

I had a suggestion; Make the waveform display pop-down instead of always present, it would make the screen look better. Also doesn't it consume more resources when operating??? That's why I have it off.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:29 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
WELL, I'm still having the same problem with Latency, but it's not critical. The other settings are now saveable.

I had a suggestion; Make the waveform display pop-down instead of always present, it would make the screen look better. Also doesn't it consume more resources when operating??? That's why I have it off.

Thanks
1. I've made a change in the code, if something goes wrong when loading the latency size, it's now set to 4096 samples. Not yet uploaded, but I hope this will solve the problems you're seeing. (I think before it was set to 0 samples if something went wrong, which leads to unpredictable behavior.)

2. Suggestion is good, but I'm not going to do this for version 5.00 anymore. It does consume some more resources, although not really that much (on my PC, at full screen settings, 1920x1200, displaying the waveform takes about 5% CPU processing power. I haven't measured it at the normal window size, but I expect it to use something near or below 1%). This is at maximum screen update speed, if you reduce that speed the CPU usage drops further.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:42 pm 

I'm still having to move the Latency (saved at 1024) to get winamp to play, from there I can put latency in any position.
Not a big deal.

Future Suggestion; It would be really great someday to be able to be able to give different tracks their own AUTOMATIC SETTINGS, as music from the 60's has different needs from say the 90's. Like when a certain old song is played the stereotool changes to a different setting automatically. Maybe this is not possible? But Winamp's equalizer can do this.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:12 am 
Site Admin

Hi celestemaxwell,

I have a new version where a lot of things have changed, can you check if you are still having this problem with the new version?
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1798&p=4793#p4793

"Automatic settings" isn't going to be added any time soon. (far too much work - I just don't have time for it. Would require something to manage which STS file belongs to which track etc. But not all settings can be changed immediately without causing strange artifacts in the sound, so I would also need to gradually change the settings etc.)

You're not the first to request this feature, there has been a user 'khel973' who wanted something similar and got it working from SAM with a PAL script. See
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34

(If you're handy with programming, you might be able to do something similar for Winamp with a stand alone program that continuously checks which song is player, for example using a 'now playing' plugin).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:39 am 

Thanks, I will download the new version and hope that you will rewrite the instructions/manual.
No I am not knowedgeable about programing, but I knew that settings for each song would be trouble.
I suppose that having stereotool make say 4 automatic selections would be problematic too? Like grouping similar sounding songs together?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:31 am 

OH, HANS!!!
I didn't have a lot of time to play with the last version I downloaded but it is all in the RED and one speaker is strong and the other is weak. Both sound terrible.
I will try to go back to the previous version.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
OH, HANS!!!
I didn't have a lot of time to play with the last version I downloaded but it is all in the RED and one speaker is strong and the other is weak. Both sound terrible.
I will try to go back to the previous version.
Hi Celestemaxwell,

Please get the latest one - there was a big problem with the version from the 23rd if 'Final Limiter -> Avoid distortion' was enabled. All should be fixed now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 pm 

Hans, in your picture you're so young and pale. You should spend a couple of weeks in LAS VEGAS!
Ok, so it that the one at the top of the download page? OR the second one down.