All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Waveform display issue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:20 pm 

Hello all,

I am using Stereo Tool on a VPS machine (which has limited resources). Normally the waveform display is disabled according to the CPU settings on the Stereo Tool's help site. But two days ago I accidentally clicked on the waveform display's area, and then it has turned on. Then the CPU's load got extremely high, the machine has frozen entirely and I had to reboot it (was very frustrating, because this machine makes our Radio's programme).

I was wondering is there any way to make the waveform display completely disappear? For example: there would be a tickbox or something like that for making that area visible, and then the users should have to click on the waveform display's area to actually enable it.

I know that my VPS server is not so powerful (so maybe it is not an actual bug in Stereo Tool), but it would be safer to make to users able to hide that area within Stereo Tool's window.

I am looking forward to your opinions about it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Dave,

I'm surprised that that waveform display has so much effect on the CPU load. I wouldn't expect it to take more than a few percent (which still can be too much, if the CPU load was already high).

The next version of Stereo Tool (almost finished) will have a much lower CPU load (more than 50% lower!), which should avoid hangups like you're describing. If not, please let me know and I'll take it into account for the version after that.

(By the way, even if the CPU load is so high, I would think you should still be able to kill Stereo Tool?)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:04 pm 

check your Video Card driver !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:12 pm 

Quote:
Hello Dave,

I'm surprised that that waveform display has so much effect on the CPU load. I wouldn't expect it to take more than a few percent (which still can be too much, if the CPU load was already high).

The next version of Stereo Tool (almost finished) will have a much lower CPU load (more than 50% lower!), which should avoid hangups like you're describing. If not, please let me know and I'll take it into account for the version after that.

(By the way, even if the CPU load is so high, I would think you should still be able to kill Stereo Tool?)
Hello Hans,

Thanks for the reply, I will check it with the next version as well and will let you know the results. I think it is due to the VPS System's peformance (it is based on Parallels's Virtual Automation system). If the CPU load is around 100% I am not able to connect to the machine either (so I cannot kill Stereo Tool). If it fails while I am connected it, it is almost impossible to deactivate Stereo Tool. Sometimes I can deactivate it, but for that time half of the listeners disconnect the stream...
Quote:
check your Video Card driver !
Hello Bojcha,

I have checked the Device Manager, but there is no video card listed there (maybe I have no access to get any information about that). As I remember it is an integrated one, but I am not too sure about that..