All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:54 pm 

Hi

I used old version for quite some time. Recently installed new version. I use winamp 5.572 on 32bit system, i have Xtreme Gamer with PAX drivers and i use Wumpus OpenAL output plugin.

Ticking sound is in the background, depends of volume (the louder winamp i got louder ticks), its just like clock ticks but more often. I get around 3-8 ticks per second depends what music im listening. When i bypass Stereo Tools ticks are gone. I realized its got something to do with buffer. In "Configure audio and display" when i increase time to clear buffer ticks are reduced greatly to around 1-2 per 20 seconds. When i disable this option i think ticks are gone.

Im complete lame and i use Stereo Tools for small private use. Its not a problem really coz i kind fixed it but just to let you know.

Great job... I love Stereo Tool
Thanks!

ps. I i want to reduce sound volume when just listening on winamp should i use Pre or Post amp? or maybe both the same value?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:03 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Locaj,

Can you think of a reason why your system would process the audio in burst?

Basically, the only way I have to detect that a new track starts to play is to measure the time between 2 consecutive blocks of audio. Those blocks are usually about 26 ms long, so the time between two blocks is usually also 26 ms. If there's - say - a second between 2 blocks (that's the time that can be configured), I assume that a new song has started and clear all the buffers.

If the normal time between 2 blocks is 26 ms, then 1 second is quite long. So I'm curious why this is happening on your system. (What type of files are you playing by the way? That might also make a difference).

About Pre Amp and Post Amp: Pre Amp controls how loud the signal goes into the processing. Louder = stronger processing; if you lower Pre Amp you'll get a sound that's closer to the original. Post Amp usually shouldn't be set higher than 1.00, and determines the output volume.

So in your case, you should probably use Post Amp (or the Winamp output level slider).