All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Stereo Tool 4.04
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:09 am 
Site Admin

I have received some reports that Stereo Tool version 4.00-4.03 sometimes freezed.

After looking into this I found out that there was a bug in the multicore support, which could cause freezes especially when smaller portions of sound were sent to Stereo Tool (it doesn't seem to occur in Winamp with normal MP3s, but it does happen for example in SAM, and it might also occur in Winamp and other players depending on the format and input plugin used). The bug is fixed in version 4.04.

On top of this, single core systems were not detected properly and they used the same code as the multicore systems. Now the single core systems use the same code as in versions 3.xx, which means that on single core systems the CPU load should be a bit lower / Stereo Tool runs smoother.

Please upgrade to this new version to avoid problems.

The new version can - as always - be found on the download page.

Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 4.04
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:48 pm 

hi Hans,
i again have some small problems on DualCore AMD CPU..
On "Hi" quality buffer goes down so i must set it on "Mid" i feel CPU needs just few more MHz to be good.
I can set on "Hi" but i must turn off .. eg. Final Limiter.

With v4.03 all works on "Hi" same preset.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
hi Hans,
i again have some small problems on DualCore AMD CPU..
On "Hi" quality buffer goes down so i must set it on "Mid" i feel CPU needs just few more MHz to be good.
I can set on "Hi" but i must turn off .. eg. Final Limiter.

With v4.03 all works on "Hi" same preset.
That's odd. Can you do the following?
- Open a DOS box
- Type:
echo %NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS%

The result SHOULD be at least 2, if it's 1 or if it doesn't exist that would explain why Stereo Tool thinks that it's a single core system and switches to using a single thread.

There was a bug in version 4.00-4.03 which caused any pc to be seen as a multicore system, that has been solved in 4.04. But your system IS a multicore system and hence should still be seen as one. To check, Stereo Tool uses the NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS environment variable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:37 pm 

echo %NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS%
Nothing wrong with this.

btw, ST still uses both cores (on this AMD X2) .. using of both cores started when was erlier beta update.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:37 am 
Site Admin

Do you have "FM Transmitter Calibration" enabled? If so, can you try what happens when you turn it off?

In version 4.04 I have changed 3 things:
- I have increased the buffer size of the FM Transmitter Calibration. This changes the behavior a bit, I wouldn't expect problems from that - but the same goes for the other two changes.
- I have replaced events by semaphores. This is only used every 512 samples or so, so I wouldn't expect a lot of effects from it
- I have fixed a few problems that could cause crashes. Again, this should have virtually no performance effects.

But you're seeing a difference, so something must be wrong. Please let me know if the FM Transmitter Calibration can be ruled out - if so I'll look into the semaphores.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:23 am 
Site Admin

I've just tried version 4.03 and version 4.04 at FM Loud Europe preset (nothing else enabled), and both versions have exactly the same performance behavior here. Of course this is WITHOUT the FM Calibration etc. So I'm really curious what the effect there is (it's less easy to measure, and it might depend on timing etc. which differs from system to system).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:10 am 

Quote:
Do you have "FM Transmitter Calibration" enabled? If so, can you try what happens when you turn it off?
No it's not enabled.
Actually there is not differents in CPU usage if i turn it ON or OFF.

edit:
I just again try v4.03 .. and it works Europe Preset, FM Volume at 101%, and it works good.
Again i put 4.04 .. and now and this ver works :shock:
Realy don't know what was wrong.
sorry for this.