All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:11 am 
Site Admin

O - I just realized that you are probably still using that sound card that doesn't support 192 kHz input... If so, you're missing half of the signal, which basically makes your measurements useless.. (And explains that fact that you can measure really loud peaks which are not present in the original signal).

VERY short explanation:

Say you should receive the following sample values:

2 - 10 - 20 - 17 - 20 - 10 - 2

Now you sound card basically throws away half those numbers because it samples at half the sample rate:

2 - 20 - 20 - 2

Then the signal is upsampled - basically the software reconstructs the lost data out of the available data

2 - 12 - 20 - 25 - 20 - 12 - 2

Now 17 has changed into 25! And the maximum peak is now 25 instead of 20 which it should be. This is probably the cause of the very high peak values in your measurement.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:25 am 

ohhh no no no :D

On that picture is not my transmitter.. that is other local radio station. I just wanted to show you that i don't have station here to compare my transsmiter with ST, to any station.

Let's be clear ..
When i first time try ST to transmitter (i think it was v3.40) it was wonderously!
And belive me my transmitter with ST have maybe best sound in whole country!

this what i talk about highs... maybe not so important the difference is so small .. and maybe things will change when the proper sound card comes for my transmitter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:32 am 
Site Admin

I know! But you're measuring with a sound card that doesn't support 192 kHz sampling rate on the INPUT, which makes your measurement unreliable!

Are you really saying that Stereo Tool 3.40 sounded BETTER than 3.55??? If so, have you tried lowering the Loudness slider? In 3.40 for most presets it was set at or below 2.30... The higher you set it, the more filtering (also of the high frequencies) occurs.

Oh, just in case: You have "Pre-emphasize output" turned on, right? Because if it's off, 3.50+ has far less highs than 3.40, because the pre-emphasize and de-emphasize filters of version 3.40 were incorrect. Because of that, versions 3.50+ should have far more highs than 3.40...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:42 am 

nope when i was say that 3.40 is better then 3.54
Till now v3.54 sounds best! and i heve notice some changes from 3.54finall to this last 3.54 highs are more precise and cleaner.

i just wont to say ..
i have good hardware coder and good transmitter .. and when i put ST to first test .. from that start everything sounds much better.
now sound is even better. :)

sry for misapprehension.

btw: here is my preset

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I think I know what the problem is... In the last few versions I've been boosting the bass level, and I checked that the highs didn't get too much softer... But the balance is off - relative to the bass there's not enough highs.

The good news is that the highs are now having far less impact on the bass sounds, which might make it possible to increase the highs also. So I have something to do again :-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Bojcha (and others),

I have made a test version with slightly louder highs (0.2 dB on average, up to about 1 dB at peaks). 0.2 dB is not a lot, so don't expect too much!

Advantages:
- Louder highs
- Brighter, more vivid sound
Disadvantages:
- Lows are a bit softer again (about 0.1 dB on average)
- Highs might sound a bit less clean (although I've tried to fix that)

When the new interface is ready I'm going to make this configurable...

Same URLs as before:
Winamp DSP plugin: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... r_BETA.exe
Stand alone version: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... r_BETA.exe
Command line: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... d_BETA.exe
VST version: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... l_BETA.dll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:14 pm 

mmm...
first i notice bass is lower a bit now.. i bet someone will tell it's lower then it should be. But for me it right where it should be.
example song ...it's ok with me

highs..
hmm... i think it's better now ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:59 am 
Site Admin

Here's another version that might be slightly better.

Changes:
- Restored the volume of frequencies above 160 Hz (just above the bass frequencies), which makes the sound warmer again (the previous version sounded "colder").
- Made the highs slightly louder again.

Basically, I'm now looking at how much effect high frequencies have on the other sounds, and I'm lowering them if they have too much effect on the other frequencies. Before I just lowered the highs below a certain peak level, which was far less effective so I had to lower them more than I do now.

The frequencies between 300 and 1000 Hz are still a bit softer in this version than in version 3.55, although they are louder than in the previous version.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:42 pm 

Hi Hans,

I tested the new versions, and i'm back to the original 3.55, i''m missing something in the low frequencies, and the high's sounded a bit to loud for my ears..

Just my 2 cent's..

/Martijn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:43 pm 

Hi Hans,

For me also it sounds a bit high in treble, i feel the sound in ver.3.55 is well balanced. However, may be this is a matter of taste, and i think the best judgment here is to check the frequency response.

Abdul