All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hm, I always like high treble levels... The higher the better... First thing I do when I get a new radio is setting the treble as high as possible... So I kinda liked the new version, although the lows weren't that good anymore.

Because the louder highs were having some effects on the rest of the sound I have had to change (improve?) some other processing steps, in order to keep the signal consistent. With those changes I managed today to get the bass level equal to that of version 3.55 with the louder highs. I've now turned the highs down back to slightly above the 3.55 level (if the highs are already very loud they are not made louder anymore due to the new highs measurement method).

This has the following effects - compared to version 3.55:
- Highs are slightly (0.2 dB) louder, but very loud highs are not and might in some cases even be slightly softer.
- Lows around 100-400 Hz are 0.2 dB louder (!) which should give a slightly warmer sound. Sound around 500-900 Hz are about 0.1 dB softer.
- Loud highs have far less effect on bass sounds, so the sound should be more consistent.

This new version is now available. I'm curious if you think this sound is better than that of 3.55.

Note to Bojcha: I'm definitely going to make the highs level configurable in the new interface.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:20 pm 

hi,
i like good bass tones as much as good highs ...
in studio i like FLAT .. i want't here each tone in same "level"

but this is FM.
and FM by default more likes Bass tones .. Higs are not so easy to made to be good.

This last relise is maybe same as official 3.55. i hear bass again, ok it's not problem i can alwas fix it in multiband.

Hans i have few questions.
if you plan to make highs level configurable .. where it will be? in Loudnes Section, Final-Limiter ?

and one question about pre-Limiter.
Can you make quick explaination about 3-green and 3-red colors in Final-Limiter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:50 am 
Site Admin

Answers:
- Yes, this new version is very much like 3.55, but the lows should have more punch when loud highs are present. And they are a bit louder. More importantly, this version is more resilient against louder highs. As you will see when the configurable highs are made available... By the way, you could try increasing the highs in the multiband compressor in this version - that should sound better and have more effect than before!

The configurable highs are going to be placed in the Loudness section. Basically it's a dualband compressor which limits the highs just before entering the Loudness filter, and you'll be able to set the value it limits the highs to.

The final limiter is quite similar to the Loudness filter, but it isn't very good at processing sustained too loud sounds (I could fix that, but at the expense of a lot of extra processing power, and I don't think it will bring anything).
So, it should be configured such that only short loud spikes are present.

The light green/red color indicates the current volume. This may contain spikes.
The dark greed/red color indicates the "longer term" volume. If this gets too much into the red area, you'll get some distortion. So you should try to keep it (most of the time) in the green range.

Something that I haven't really tried yet but might also improve things: You can turn the Final Limiter down a bit and Loudness up a bit. That MIGHT sound a bit better. If the Final Limiter value multiplied by the Loudness value remains the same, the volume remains the same. But as mentioned before, Loudness does a better job than the Final Limiter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:47 am 

Quote:
Something that I haven't really tried yet but might also improve things: You can turn the Final Limiter down a bit and Loudness up a bit. That MIGHT sound a bit better. If the Final Limiter value multiplied by the Loudness value remains the same, the volume remains the same. But as mentioned before, Loudness does a better job than the Final Limiter.
i meant like that .. i keep final-limiter at 0.85 (dark red barely shows) found that better then 1.00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:26 am 
Site Admin

I'll do some tests to see if I can improve the sound by changing the final limiter... But I'm going to do that later - I'm currently working on the new interface, and I want to finish that first - among others because I can then finally add a bunch of new features/settings.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:43 pm 

Hans,

I tested the latest version, it seems that the bass is back and sounds allot like the 3.55 version.

Also the high's are now normal to my ears.

/Martijn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:24 pm 

Hi Hans,
Yes, the sound is now good, the bass came up and it sounds loud, the treble is about the same as in ver.3.55. The overall sound seems to be louder than ver.3.55 which is good too.
Abdul