All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:58 am 
Site Admin

Update 20090330

Nothing big, just improved a few presets a bit. For FM Loud/Hot (and the new preset Extreme, which is identical to Loud but louder), I have made the sound around 5.5 kHz a bit louder as was suggested by abdulok, although not as much as he suggested because it was reducing the bass too much (which made the result sound less warm). It should be about 0.2 dB louder now, which isn't much, but the difference is notable. The FM Hot presets now sound warmer than before (before there was too much high frequency content for the Loudness filter to handle).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:16 pm 

Hi Hans,
I could see so many updates were being introduced lately in a short period of time; you need to excuse me for not being able to check them all. I was confused with amount of updates to check as I didn't have the time to catch up in checking each in time. I do understand that you are doing your best to finalize the release of version 3.5 as soon as possible.
I have been checking your latest update 20090330 this morning thoroughly, using various type of music. I found the sound is still rich and loud with hardly any distortion heard at all, the base is strong, clean and really hammering when playing type of music having good dynamics and heavy base. The treble sounded better now smooth and open. I also think that the increment of 0.2 in the 5.5KHz slide is sufficient to make the sound open and crispy.
There was a comparison test 'DDLG Test" between Stereo Tool and Breakaway Broadcast submitted here earlier by one of the member, which shows that the sound of Stereo Tool became clipped or distorted when a heavy base sound introduced. I have tried to listen to music with good dynamics and heavy base sound and compared both Stereo Tool using "FM Transmitter. Stereo Europe" preset, and Breakaway Broadcast using "New York" preset, and I don’t hear any clipping/distortion or drop in sound quality with this update. I feel Stereo Tool sounds even better now than Breakaway Broadcast.
I have noticed that in some presets i.e. FM Transmitter Loud and Extreme, the equalizer check box is on and the 1.375KHz & 2.750KHz slides both set to 0.88, I don’t know if these changes are part of the corresponding presets.

Wish you all the success with version 3.5,
Thanks and regards
Abdul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:53 am 

new beta reports v3.50 :) testing....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:00 pm 

Hans,

Are you still going to implement a bypass button in the main screen?

/Martijn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:22 am 
Site Admin

Hi Martijn,

I was afraid that you would ask that :o

Because the sound quality has improved so much, I want to release version 3.50 now. But I have a number of things that I'll put in version 3.51, which should follow soon after 3.50. These updates have nothing to do with quality, but with usability:
  • Add your Bypass button. By the way, would it be useful to also have one to bypass everything except the FM pre- and de-emphasis and output? (Problem: Without the Final Limiter that would cause overshoots in the signal, so I probably need to keep that one on, with the volume set to 1.00....)
  • Separate the presets into categories (so they are not all visible simultaneously as they are now), and add a lot of extra presets (including some user defined presets - I've noticed that you have put a number of presets online, and there's the AAC+ preset etc. - I'll contact the people whose presets I want to use first of course)
  • Add an option to enforce oversampling when no FM options are used (for Bojcha)
  • Add a low latency Loudness processor to the low latency channel (makes the Low latency channel sound much closer to the real output sound)
  • Improve the FM calibration such that it is possible to reliably configure it without using special measuring equipment. (I have an idea here that should work and make things much easier)
  • Add a cool output display :D
  • I was planning to add language support for other languages than English.
As you can see, this is quite a long list... So that's why I'm releasing the quality improvements now, the rest will come later.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:05 am 

ohhh

very good.. one vote for Bypass button and of course for enforce oversampling.

but and other improvements are very good.

especial this one,
Improve the FM calibration such that it is possible to reliably configure it without using special measuring equipment.

Best wishes with future builds. ;)