All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 10.20
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:48 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello. Are all presets with a new adaptive compressor or are they just the ones for which this is indicated in the name? As far as I know, aquinas has been built with a new adaptive compressor.
Good question. I think the ones with the new compressor should mention it in the description so we can find them more easily. As far as I know, Aquinas and Adaptive Bass Monster are the only two in this release, but I could be wrong.
We’re using ST 10.21 with Adaptive Bass Monster.
It is impressive!!!
www.rete2000.it/diretta-live/
What kind of music do you play? I don't think it would be a good fit for rock and metal music. I haven't tried it, so I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:30 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good question. I think the ones with the new compressor should mention it in the description so we can find them more easily. As far as I know, Aquinas and Adaptive Bass Monster are the only two in this release, but I could be wrong.
We’re using ST 10.21 with Adaptive Bass Monster.
It is impressive!!!
www.rete2000.it/diretta-live/
What kind of music do you play? I don't think it would be a good fit for rock and metal music. I haven't tried it, so I don't know.
95% Golden Hits and some new songs. It sounds great

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:17 pm 

Hello Hans, long time no speak. I was 'Bertie' but in the intervening years, I lost my details here and couldn't reactivate my account . I hope you are well.

You asked if anyone had problems with the new version 10, and although i really like the interface, it is simply not working as it should, however I do have suspicions this might be a computer issue and not a problem with Stereo Tool at all.

On my main test PC which is an ageing desktop running W7, I have no issues at all, and it sounds and reacts as it should, great.

However I run a small secondhand laptop , with W10, and I5 processor, Lenovo thinkpad to run my stream. on 9.92 it was ok, even though I had to drive the top end quite hard to achieve decent treble responses, it did sound a little 'muddy', tolerable, but it just sounds horrible with version 10, loads of distortion especially in any preset that is driven by high AGC levels going into Multiband 1.
The distortion artifacts were minimised by reducing the drive right down but not completely eliminated.
I also noted that in the graphic representations of adjusting the frequency responses of either multiband, the responses were all over the place, and changing left and right slopes has very little effect at all, either on the graph or the output. Not sure if this is a driver problem , likely I think, but Ive tried many things to remedy it, like bypassing all other processing , no effect.

I guess my fault for buying a cheap laptop!

All my music is personally corrected and checked for distortion when I enter it into the lists for playout , using remastering software (before the days of Watchcat) (you can imagine how many years that has taken) and a lot of it has been played out fine on a broadcast station, so it has not huge problems and doesnt require a lot of processing so Stereo Tool should not need to work hard, and it shouldn't have distortion elements after processing. As I say, no problems at all on my main PC.

Im just letting you know about this, its not an issue for me as I have ways round it. But Im not sure if anyone else might have suffered similarly. As an experiment, I still have copies of Stereo Tool from years gone, and I'm going to put 6.10 on the laptop , and see what happens.

Regards Hans, Bertie.