All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Stereo Tool 10.20
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:06 am 
Site Admin

Stereo Tool 10.20 is released!

Changes:
  • Made new "Adaptive" compressor mode, which adjusts its behavior and internal settings based on the input signal.
  • GUI: 2nd meter bar color was always orange, but must be less bright version of main color for input gain, MPX out etc.
  • Added GPO to MicroMPX encoder in Stereo Tool, compatible with Omnia.9, 2wcom and Tieline.
  • GUI: Compressor "Relative stop threshold" must have OFF state on the left instead of on the right (both ends now for compatibility).
  • GUI: "Band coupling" display no longer jumps to bottom when it's set > 0.
  • GUI: Improved metering update code, looks smoother (bars and scopes may have more updates per second now).
  • GUI: Multiband bands display made empty if there's no audio data yet.
  • GUI: Presets: Optimized code when adding new files, should be much faster (especially if the list of presets is long).
  • GUI: Presets: Control+F jumps to search bar.
  • GUI: Improved scrolling, also better Mac scrolling support.
  • GUI: Sliders no longer need to be clicked before they can scroll.
  • GUI: Improved drop down sizing.
  • GUI: Slider dragging behaviour in precise-mode tweaked.
  • GUI: Slider scrolling behaviour in precise-mode (i.e. with Ctrl pressed) fixed.
  • GUI: Slider click location fixed when slider is only partially shown (e.g. in scrolled page).
  • GUI: Preset cards are now always aligned in a grid (i.e. same number of cards on every line).
  • GUI: Mac users can now properly scroll using the trackpad.
  • GUI: Mac up/down arrows are no longer inverted.
  • GUI: Fixed dropdown sizing.
  • GUI: Scrolling steps when scrolling a page no longer depend on how much of the page is visible.
  • GUI: Optimized scanning of presets after a load or save.
  • GUI: Preset cards now try to show the entire author and preset name before being aligned in a grid.
  • GUI: Sliders no longer get accidentally changed when the page they are on is being scrolled.
  • GUI: When folding the entire page with Ctrl+Shift+'-' the basic settings in multi-band filters are no longer folded as well.
  • GUI: The minimum size of the entire application now accounts for the shrinking of the meter bar.
  • GUI: Full support for translations is back now (was gone since version 10.00).
  • GUI: Many more texts can now be translated (warnings, value units).
  • GUI: Fixed margins between top bar buttons.
  • GUI: Fixed sideways scrolling on pages with a meter bar.
  • GUI: Brought back the missing "Don't show this warning again" text in some warnings.
  • GUI: Upgraded context menus: hide reset options that aren't relevant, and always show target value.
  • GUI: "Type a value" on a slider gives a textfield that now properly reverts back to a slider when it loses focus.
  • GUI: Using escape or the cross to exit a question now properly executes the default/cancel action.
  • MicroMPX Version 4 is now the default selection.
  • Bug fix: GUI: Meter bar gray displays were coming from the wrong side for Natural Dynamics, Auto/Bass EQ.
  • Bug fix: Streaming recovery when the connection dropped out didn't always work, an error state was not cleared.
  • Bug fix: Analog compressor mode: Added protection against an exception message that was reported by a customer.
  • Bug fix: Rewrote window handling code that caused an exception message to be reported in version 10.10, reported by a customer.
  • Bug fix: macOS versions could crash if detect Livewire/Dante/Ravenna is enabled.
  • Bug fix: Translations that had weird characters in the new GUI now look ok again.
  • Bug fix: Compressors: Knee never worked for > 12 dB. Changed the maximum value in the GUI to 12.
  • Bug fix: Console version in Liquidsoap failed if the webserver was enabled because it wrote to stdout, where LiquidSoap expects its audio.
  • Bug fix: x86/64 Linux Jack builds didn't properly detect that they were Jack builds with specific file names since version 10.11.
  • Bug fix: ALL compressors, AGC, Natural Dynamics, Auto EQ: Protection against artifacts caused by chunking never worked correctly.
  • Bug fix: ALL compressors, AGC, Natural Dynamics, Auto EQ: Protection against artifacts caused by chunking was not updated for Quality setting changes.
  • Bug fix: macOS VST plugin: Fixed bug in calculation of mouse position, caused mouse to misbehave in some hosts.
  • Bug fix: macOS: Timing-dependent functions never worked correctly (but we have not observed any problems due to that).
  • Major code cleanup (removed more than 2 MB of now obsolete code, old web interface and old GUI among others).
  • Major multi-instance code rewrites.
  • Partially rewrote skinning/multi-instance GUI code.
  • Added DHD licensing.
  • Added and updated presets.
  • WatchCat: Fixed a crash that could happen if multiple files were starting processing at the same time after startup.
  • STXtreme: Hardware watchdog could occasionally report incorrect I/O timer warnings, and in extreme cases even reboot, when using multiple instances.
  • STXtreme: Added more hardening against unexpected unrecoverable issues.
  • STXtreme: GUI: Last 2 digits of MAC addresses were cut off in network settings display.
  • STXtreme: GUI: Button to restart to update AES/EBU output sample rates was not always enabled/disabled in the correct situation.
  • MicroMPX: Specified and implemented efficient protocol to use for TCP links, to save to file, or to send over satellite. (Library only for now).
  • MicroMPX: Bug fix: Since version 4.2.1 (released with Stereo Tool 10.11), the decoder could have dropouts ever 6h12m46s for certain delay settings.

Note: This specific issue:
MicroMPX: Bug fix: Since version 4.2.1 (released with Stereo Tool 10.11), the decoder could have dropouts ever 6h12m46s for certain delay settings.
is not fixed completely, we have a new 10.21 beta that should fix this.

Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 10.20
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:01 am 

I must ask... is there going to be a declipper plugin update released?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:45 pm 

Hello. Are all presets with a new adaptive compressor or are they just the ones for which this is indicated in the name? As far as I know, aquinas has been built with a new adaptive compressor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:39 am 

Quote:
Hello. Are all presets with a new adaptive compressor or are they just the ones for which this is indicated in the name? As far as I know, aquinas has been built with a new adaptive compressor.
Good question. I think the ones with the new compressor should mention it in the description so we can find them more easily. As far as I know, Aquinas and Adaptive Bass Monster are the only two in this release, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:25 pm 

It feels like it's been a while since I last updated ST on my RPi4, it's currently running v10.11.

I forgot that the files were set up differently, there seems to be a Stereotool folder with lots of files in it including one script which is run to launch ST. I copied the ST 10.20 executable to the home directory as I used to do, and after doing the chmod 755 it wouldn't work properly.

Should I be using a different installer file to upgrade ST? I am sure I have done something differently before given the Stereotool folder currently hosting 10.11.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:49 pm 

Quote:
It feels like it's been a while since I last updated ST on my RPi4, it's currently running v10.11.

I forgot that the files were set up differently, there seems to be a Stereotool folder with lots of files in it including one script which is run to launch ST. I copied the ST 10.20 executable to the home directory as I used to do, and after doing the chmod 755 it wouldn't work properly.

Should I be using a different installer file to upgrade ST? I am sure I have done something differently before given the Stereotool folder currently hosting 10.11.
I know you've been chronicling your Linux efforts on this forum, and it's very much appreciated. But could you provide more specific info in this thread to help folks who know Linux figure out the issue? Also posterity.

My Linux knowledge is practically null. All I can gather is you aren't using the stand-alone Rpi image.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

If you use our image the best way is to just update via the web interface. That also contains fallbacks in case the update fails etc.

If you're using your own Linux install, there should be a single Stereo Tool binary, and you can download the new one and just replace the old one (and chmod to 755 if needed). Aside from in our image, we're not providing any scripts to start Stereo Tool; the Linux download is really just a single file, and that's all.

If that doesn't help, we'll need more info...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:06 pm 

I must say:

- much, much better loudness control on MPX power output with new MB1 compressor
- tightier, crispier highs
- bass not drifting "out of range" and IMD is more under control

I just have to figure out new preset and tweak it a little more - it seems to exaggerate on silent passages...

BR.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:18 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Good question. I think the ones with the new compressor should mention it in the description so we can find them more easily. As far as I know, Aquinas and Adaptive Bass Monster are the only two in this release, but I could be wrong.
We’re using ST 10.21 with Adaptive Bass Monster.
It is impressive!!!
www.rete2000.it/diretta-live/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:43 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

I know you've been chronicling your Linux efforts on this forum, and it's very much appreciated. But could you provide more specific info in this thread to help folks who know Linux figure out the issue? Also posterity.

My Linux knowledge is practically null. All I can gather is you aren't using the stand-alone Rpi image.
Sorry you are right, I should have provided more details than I did. I should know better.

Anyway, I downloaded v10.21 as a standalone executable file so I can try again. And for some reason, it works! I just had to re-enter my licence details and reconfigure the I/O but all is well now. Seems to sound different too!

Thanks for all your replies though, much appreciated!