All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:40 am 
Site Admin

Version 10.11 is released! We're going to continue at 10.12, with the new compressor turned on again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:08 am 

Quote:
Quote:
So it's even more extreme than what the current calibration offers???????? I originally made this when I had a 15 euro test transmitter, and I could make that flat with this calibration. I've used it once on a real station that had a very broken STL, but I've never seen any station that needed more than the standard RC correction since then.
Well, according to the thread I created, it seems I am not the only one who has a terrible FM Transmitter with tilt that cannot be fixed with current implementation. 2 companies selling similar overshoots. One of them with TERRIBLE support (which I had), one with better (but not always the greatest according to @Anthony96922).

Does that count as being scammed?
Quote:
Quote:

Fair... HD isn't a great example... since it already sounds squeaky. I got used to the high-pitched stereo squeakness. here is FM: https://youtu.be/T-5-SonLY3M

On Stereotool, it doesn't sound spacious & it sounds limited in stereo. It's like I put a hard brick in it. Is that a better explanation? It's like bland. I said it sounded squeaky because nothing sounds strong?

it is the same way throughout the whole song in my opinion
Ah! Now it makes more sense. Yes, I heard that too - I guess the compressor is configured to act very slowly. The HD signal especially sounds like heavy, fast moving compression is going on. Also, if you used the AGC in matrix mode before for stereo widening, that's now gone because the AGC is gone. So we do need a new stereo widener. And potentially a 2nd fast-acting compressor stage to add more density to _all_ material.
Yeah! I chose HD because the HD signal sounds heavy the most. I think it should be backward due to the codec...
Is Matrix mode not something you planning on adding to the new AGC?
Have you tried using FM calibration? It's not perfect, but my signal is a lot better than before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:48 am 

Thanks Hanz for the resolving quickly the problem with watchcat :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:27 am 

Quote:
Have you tried using FM calibration? It's not perfect, but my signal is a lot better than before.
Yeah, I have. First thing I tried. It so bad, I can't tell a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:29 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I have. First thing I tried. It so bad, I can't tell a difference.
I meant the extreme calibration filter in case I wasn't being clear. You will need to enable and set the tone generator to "square" before doing any adjustments.

For every frequency:
1. Set the tone generator to that frequency (you don't have to get it exact).
2. Use the volume slider to flatten out any "bowing" and the phase slider to correct any tilting. Once the waveform is as flat as you can get it...
3. Move on to the next frequency and repeat.

Once calibration is done do a sweep test to ensure the signal is flat throughout.

Hope this helps! =]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:12 pm 

Quote:
Version 10.11 is released! We're going to continue at 10.12, with the new compressor turned on again.
Nice! Quick turn-around tackling those 10.10 issues.

So, I have a use case that I'm not sure how to handle, and I think the 'correct' solution may need to be implemented by you guys.

I'm interested in a slider/balance fader between inputs 1 and 2 available when used in combine (add) mode. I realize I could raise the Input Gain of each and balance that, but that affects bypass loudness even if offset by negative preamp gain. But I think optimally a slider that attenuates one of the inputs when all the way to one side, and equally loud when centered, would be the best solution. This way one could even use something like Autohotkey to script a single midi knob or fader to do the balancing.

Would this be a reasonable addition?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:58 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

So, I have a use case that I'm not sure how to handle, and I think the 'correct' solution may need to be implemented by you guys.

I'm interested in a slider/balance fader between inputs 1 and 2 available when used in combine (add) mode. I realize I could raise the Input Gain of each and balance that, but that affects bypass loudness even if offset by negative preamp gain. But I think optimally a slider that attenuates one of the inputs when all the way to one side, and equally loud when centered, would be the best solution. This way one could even use something like Autohotkey to script a single midi knob or fader to do the balancing.

Input Balance was wrong since it's added, Many pointed to that long time ago, but Hans never fixed it, and if i remember, he said that's how balance should work.

And about FM calibration, me asked several times for Calibration PEQ, but Hans said that is not needed. But strange he kept current one wich is super narrow but kinda still usefull.

And fun fact about Square test tone, after 4.8kHz becomes sine-tone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Input Balance was wrong since it's added, Many pointed to that long time ago, but Hans never fixed it, and if i remember, he said that's how balance should work.

And about FM calibration, me asked several times for Calibration PEQ, but Hans said that is not needed. But strange he kept current one wich is super narrow but kinda still usefull.
Well I didn't say it's not needed, I said it *shouldn't* be needed. Even with the worst, 15 euro battery powered transmitter that I have ever seen, which drifted over the frequency band as the battery started to run out, the current calibration can make it nearly completely flat. Since you can only setup something like this if you have a modulation meter (and even with one it's really difficult to do it, especially to get the phases right), I think it's very rare that people would have a transmitter that's worse than the one I just mentioned, but they do have a modulation meter and the knowledge to configure it properly.

So what is it that you cannot do with the current calibration? I kept it in because the code exists (I wrote it at the time because that horrible transmitter was the only thing that I had), and if someone really needs it it's at least still there. But given how bad that transmitter was (phase effects of more than 90 degrees, some frequencies in the middle of the range needed to be reduced by more than 9 dB while others needed to be boosted), I don't know what more could ever be needed.
Quote:
A real square wave will constantly show massive overshoots, so we used a smoothed square wave. It's difficult to properly generate a square wave at higher frequencies with this smoothing. And since the main goal is to find tilt, it's not really needed on higher frequencies either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:56 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well I didn't say it's not needed, I said it *shouldn't* be needed. Even with the worst, 15 euro battery powered transmitter that I have ever seen, which drifted over the frequency band as the battery started to run out, the current calibration can make it nearly completely flat. Since you can only setup something like this if you have a modulation meter (and even with one it's really difficult to do it, especially to get the phases right), I think it's very rare that people would have a transmitter that's worse than the one I just mentioned, but they do have a modulation meter and the knowledge to configure it properly.

So what is it that you cannot do with the current calibration? I kept it in because the code exists (I wrote it at the time because that horrible transmitter was the only thing that I had), and if someone really needs it it's at least still there. But given how bad that transmitter was (phase effects of more than 90 degrees, some frequencies in the middle of the range needed to be reduced by more than 9 dB while others needed to be boosted), I don't know what more could ever be needed.
Quote:
A real square wave will constantly show massive overshoots, so we used a smoothed square wave. It's difficult to properly generate a square wave at higher frequencies with this smoothing. And since the main goal is to find tilt, it's not really needed on higher frequencies either.
Hi Hans,

I agree with a lot of Bojcha's point, I'm not saying that the current calibration isn't good, but with Leif's method in BAO it's really child's play, with the "QUICK SWEEP" and "COMBO" tests in 30 seconds you have calibrated everything on your transmitter, with "COMBO PHASE" you adjust if there are phase problems, the "PEQ" helps and facilitates the work of correcting the frequency response.

Best regards

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Hi Hans,

I agree with a lot of Bojcha's point, I'm not saying that the current calibration isn't good, but with Leif's method in BAO it's really child's play, with the "QUICK SWEEP" and "COMBO" tests in 30 seconds you have calibrated everything on your transmitter, with "COMBO PHASE" you adjust if there are phase problems, the "PEQ" helps and facilitates the work of correcting the frequency response.

Best regards
With any somewhat decent transmitter I can do it in Stereo Tool in less than 30 seconds. This extreme setup is only there for transmitters that are completely horrible and need all kinds of weird bumps and gaps in the spectrum. I guess a PEQ might be easier if you know where the spike is, but how do you correct phase??

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next