All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Just an idea
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:52 am 

As i know that ST can run(partially) on raspberry. I found something , that is more powerful that this.
It`s a Pine Quartz64 quad core board @ 2GHz. Isn`t it more reliable and may be can run ST stand alone IN it? I mean not the whole options enabled, but some basic ones? And may be some basic build with AGC+ Multiband+ Bandpass+Advanced clipper+composite clipper let`s say.

https://www.pine64.org/quartz64b/

Post subject: Re: Just an idea
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

A Pi 4 can run the full Stereo Tool, including the FM section etc, just at a lower quality setting. Looking at the stats, this thing is probably 10% or so faster than the latest generation of the Pi 4. So, yes, it's faster, but not a whole lot. (That's purely based on CPU speeds, caching might have a big impact, because that's one of the things where the Pi 2/3/4 scores considerably worse than a modern Intel).

On a Pi 4 we need to set the block size to 2048 instead of 4096 to not incur a big performance hit due to using too much data. That might be different on this CPU, I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:16 pm 

Alright, i understand.

And one more Q: Did you try Stereotool build on Android? Their CPUs are above 2Ghz from many time ago, as well as multicores.
I`ll explain why i`m asking, because my phone for example have Quad DAC from ESS technology, that is 192kHz and 32 bit. Sound like a good one, right?

MC and HNY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, but on Android there is no good way to get to the audio. If we could get access to audio from other programs it would be interesting, without that, it would require you to use a sound card for input, and that makes it not very useful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:10 am 

Quote:
Yes, but on Android there is no good way to get to the audio. If we could get access to audio from other programs it would be interesting, without that, it would require you to use a sound card for input, and that makes it not very useful.
I don't know enough about this topic, but there's this thing that claims to be able to process rootlessly. Perhaps there are some leads in this code https://github.com/ThePBone/RootlessJamesDSP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:25 pm 

There actually is a way. Some android phones support an actual linux distro (not android custom rom, but legit distro with full pc kernel) called PostmarketOS https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Devices. Most have audio working.
Basically the arm builds of ST just work after installing the package gcompat (as Alpine doesn't have glibc by default)
Less annoying is to use the jack builds and run with jackd/pipewire
I actually use it sometimes, limited to 4 threads on my sdm845 device (about 2-3x a raspberry's performance), it works good for quite a while without heating too much

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:08 pm 

I just got another idea. MPXTool, but for phone with FM radio? It will be like portable MPX tool for monitoring. Most of them have even RDS function, so it can be a good one.
I think, that this can be reached and handled by the most phones with 4-6-8 cores.
There are already apps for FM radio, so it will be no hardware problem for this, i think. I saw some of them shows even the signal strength.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:01 pm 

Quote:
I just got another idea. MPXTool, but for phone with FM radio? It will be like portable MPX tool for monitoring. Most of them have even RDS function, so it can be a good one.
I think, that this can be reached and handled by the most phones with 4-6-8 cores.
There are already apps for FM radio, so it will be no hardware problem for this, i think. I saw some of them shows even the signal strength.
Not possible. MPX line is deep inside chip. What easy can be possible and much better and accurate is to use RTL-SDR on usb-c. Thing is, only person that can make that right now cannot do it because some licencse stuff. cough Nautel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:32 pm 

Isn`t it MPX deep down inside even in RTL chip?
Not make sense if we must connect external device. So, it stays just an idea. Done :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't seen new phones with an FM receiver in them in years, unfortunately. So it would need to be an external receiver indeed, and once you need that you can probably just as well bring a laptop.